Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control - or lack thereof

Options
2»

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @Little Steven‌ said about the lump size. If anything you would have a harder time raising temps with little pieces because they pack in tighter and restrict airflow. If your always having this problem you've probably got a leak somewhere that's feeding oxygen to the fire. I suggest checking the gasket, bottom vent and top vent for damage. When you shut down your egg can you snuff the fire out? I do pretty decent with low temps staying stable having to make small adjustments every hour for couple hours then it stays within 10 degrees pretty much the whole cook. My problem is getting above 425 and I know it's lump configuration and airflow. My egg loves 300, but I can choke it down to 230 and maintain. Even if I over shoot, I can lower to 230 within 30 minutes.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Little Steven said:

It doesn't matter what size pieces you have. Heat is air and fuel. No air no heat. Choking back the air won't allow anything to burn fast.

This is exactly correct.  However, the ceramic (and all the other pieces) act like a large heat sink.  It will not cool down instantly.  I started my 350 Turbo rib cook today, got distracted, and found the temp climbing from 450+.  Closed the vents way down, and of course nothing happened.  Thought - hmmmmm, I still need to put in the stone, drip pan, and grid.  I opened it up, threw that stuff in, and the temp came right down.  Just think about what's going on, and don't be in too big a hurry.
    Santa Paula, CA