Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of selling my BGE...

Options
2»

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    C
    Just chunks. I added a few more this morning so they were only in for a few hours. These are what was left.
    Check...
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Don't like delicious? Sell it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    marrt said:

I'm located in Northern VA, not far from Dizzy Pig HQ actually.

OK, I'll do a burn out. What's the procedure...load up a full bag, open the vents, light it up and don't open the lid again if you want to keep your eyebrows?

My wife is pressing me to smoke a butt tonight so I better get started.  

Also, I'll order some Rockwood for later.
    I don't see a point in "wasting" lump for a clean burn why not just plan for a pizza night and let her rip afterward for a "clean burn". I've done it several times and it works. I now wrap my PS IN HDAF so it's not all nasty but, if yours is throw it in the mix and it'll look like new. Just my .02 FWIW.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ after nearly 12 hrs my LBGE had over 2/3 of the lump left rolling at 225℉-350℉ with WGWW. I was amazed how much was remaining. The BGE is definitely efficient.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I may do one after a I cook steaks this week since I cook them at 700°. I guess I will just let it go tell it runs out of lump and goes out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • marrt
    marrt Posts: 22
    Options
    Guys,

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. 

My next steps:
    1.  I'll do a burn off with the RO.
    2.  I have 5 bags of Rockwood on the way from the link above.
    3.  I'll light my fire using the recommendation above.
    4.  I'll not add any "flavor chunks." 
    5.  I'll ensure the PS is foiled (I always do this anyway)

Give me a few days to report back.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    +1 on RO being WAY too smoky for my tastes
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm in Arkansas and readily get Ozark Oak.  I've happy with it but am I missing anything by not trying Rockwood? 

Little Rock, AR

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ I doubt it. They are quite comparable based on what @henapple says.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm in Arkansas and readily get Ozark Oak.  I've happy with it but am I missing anything by not trying Rockwood? 

If I had oo, especially at Harps price I wouldn't go out of my way to get Rockwood. If Rockwood was readily available I wouldn't go out of my way to get oo. If I couldn't get one of those...I'd go out of my way.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i have an egg that sits at camp in maine that gets used once or twice a week and gets a strong off taste from time to time, its because it gets damp from lack off use up there with lots of moisture in the air, the egg sits on a sandbar that the river flows around surrounded by white fog every morning. what i have to do with that egg is light it on friday night to get it good and dry, then use it over the weekend. when you get yours going, smell the smoke coming out of the dome and smell it every 5 minutes till that smell/taste goes away, then start cooking, if it smells bad you will get that smell in the cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Maybe it's all personal preference but I get cleaner better smoke flavor burning kingsford in my kettle at 350-450 degrees than I've ever gotten from the egg. 

Edit: to clarify, that is with a big fat chunk of cherry wood sitting on top of the coals...  I think the super insulated environment of ceramic & resultant smoldering of the wood causes the issues you've identified as off & I don't blame you.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Maybe it's all personal preference but I get cleaner better smoke flavor burning kingsford in my kettle at 350-450 degrees than I've ever gotten from the egg. 

Edit: to clarify, that is with a big fat chunk of cherry wood sitting on top of the coals...  I think the super insulated environment of ceramic & resultant smoldering of the wood causes the issues you've identified as off & I don't blame you.

You aren't advocating the use of a stamped metal POS that uses (gasp) briquettes for a truly smoked flavor are you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Zippylip said:

You aren't advocating the use of a stamped metal POS that uses (gasp) briquettes for a truly smoked flavor are you?
    Only if you're looking for true blue clean smoke flavor, otherwise, keep doing what you're doing; in fact I recommend it inasmuch as your family and guests have been accustomed to the questionable quality of your offerings for so long you'd certainly be exposed if you shift gears now.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • marrt
    Options
    I ordered Rockwood from Firecraft on Sunday and it just arrived.  So, given that Monday was a holiday, that's basically overnight service.  Not bad.  They're in PA and I'm in VA.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Zippylip said:

Only if you're looking for true blue clean smoke flavor, otherwise, keep doing what you're doing; in fact I recommend it inasmuch as your family and guests have been accustomed to the questionable quality of your offerings for so long you'd certainly be exposed if you shift gears now.

Get the hell off this forum now traitor!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Trolls be trollin'.

Little Rock, AR

• marrt
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Ok, sorry for the delay in reporting back.  My dog got sick unexpectedly and I've been dealing with that.  Very sad.

Back to the BGE, I put one half a bag of RO in and lit her up fully open.  After a couple hours, the smoke still smelled a little funny.  I added the rest of the bag and put the PS in.  Lot's of additional smoke.  But after another hour, the smoke smelled normal.  Next day, I thoroughly cleaned everything and put a Butt on using Rockwood.  I added no additional chucks for flavor.  After 22 hours, I pulled the Butt and it was great.  If anything, there wasn't enough smoke flavor and I'll add some Hickory next time.

Conclusion:
    1. The grill REALLY needed a burn off.  Maybe even from the point of purchase since I bought it used several years ago.
    2.  Even though I foil the PS, a LOT of grease was getting under the foil and soaking in.  I'll go with a pan from now on for everything.
    3.  Rockwood is great.  RO may still be ok...I'll have to experiment.  
    4.  Same with adding wood for flavor...I'll have to experiment.
    5.  Lighting the fire then choking it off was likely a BIG mistake.  This, combined with a greasy PS, was probably the number problem.

Thanks for all the advise because I was ready to sell.  Can't wait to get a Chicken on now...

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Sorry to hear you don't like the taste.  I grew up where relatives had a coal stove for heat.  It is a distinctive smell.  CHARcoal is NOT that. Charcoal isn't even coal.  Hopefully you are not starting the egg using lighter fluid.  That does leave that oily taste.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @marrt-Great news...sounds like all is on the right track.  Time to enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Glad everything is headed in the right direction. And kudos for finding something that even @henapple would agree RO is good for :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So far sounds like we're gonna have a happy ending.   I'd avoid hickory, mesquite and oak for now, ease into some fruit woods, then try the pungent ones.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    jllbms said:
    I am learning SO MUCH from this discussion. Haven't had any off tastes, but I've probably been lighting mo low fires wrong.
    We've cooked competition bbq on EGGs going into our 13th year. This year will be our 7th invitation to the Jack Daniels World BBQ Championships, and our 8th to the American Royal. All blind judging against pro teams. Doesn't mean much, except for I have cooked a bunch on the egg, and I don't get that flavor you describe any more….though I did at the beginning.

I start my fire with about 3 or 4 cups of charcoal. I get it all burning bright orange. I add dry wood chunks, more charcoal (only as much as I need for my cook), and wait until the smoke smells like I want to jump into it before I put my meat on. Sometimes up to an hour.

Hope it helps. Don't sell that thang!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you have any more trouble I would be happy to come by or have you come over to my place. I'll share a few beers if you drink (if not I have some iced tea) and we can cook up something. I'm no eggspert by any means but I haven't made anything unedible yet and my kids eat everything except the smoked turkey from thanksgiving last year, good thing I baked one too!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hard to beat a personal invite!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If you are using a drip pan from now on, raise it off the platesetter a bit. That will keep the drippings from burning and adding a bad taste. I put them on plumbing tees, but foil balls are an inexpensive alternative.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @Nature Boy Chris I have learned so much in one class with you and a ton from the two Dizzy Fest's I've been to since buying my egg from you guys! Thanks so much!! I hate to hear about people having a hard time with the egg since I enjoy mine so much. I would be happy to share what knowledge I have with anyone close by.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!