Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I use white distilled vinegar in place of apple vinegar to marinate chicken?

Options
acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
I like to marinate chicken thighs overnight in a bottle of apple vinegar with onions, garlic, and spices. However, I don't have any apple vinegar. But I have a bottle of white distilled vinegar. Can I substitute that or will it taste totally different? (I'm too lazy to drive to the store!!)

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Comments

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I'd just try it.
    Kemah, TX
  • acegg77
    Options
    She who must be obeyed says it will be fine. Not going to cook until tomorrow so I'll let you know.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dunno. But it's supposed to kill poison ivy! Trying that now.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know I lead a sheltered life for many years before becoming a hard core egger, but I swear your post is the first time I have ever heard of using apple cider as a marinade! If you want to try something else for a change have you ever just brined chicken? It is simple and adds a nice uniform taste thorough out the chicken.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • acegg77
    edited May 2014
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know I lead a sheltered life for many years before becoming a hard core egger, but I swear your post is the first time I have ever heard of using apple cider as a marinade! If you want to try something else for a change have you ever just brined chicken? It is simple and adds a nice uniform taste thorough out the chicken.
    See this post and the one after it and you will understand the methodology.

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    eatbydate.com has a whole page on it - looks like white wine, lemon juice, or lime juice are their suggestions