Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket questions

Im thinking of trying my first brisket tomorrow and have some questions. 

I will most likely be getting the meat from Costco. What should I be looking for? Should I get it trimmed or not?

How big? I will be cooking on a Large egg.

Also how long should I expect it to take?
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    No less than an hour a pound. More like 1.5. 13 lb will fit in large. Larger cuts you'll have to get creative. Check out Arron Franklin vids on YouTube.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Try to get untrimmed, not just the flat. It will have more fat on it but will be moister in long run. Some say cook fat down others fat up. Put a good rub on night before and then cook at 250-270. Many times a brisket will stall at same temperature for a long time. Most will wrap after 4-5 hours and put back on cooker. Brisket can come off at 195-200 internal degrees. Lots of other tricks to add but that is basic.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    You absolutely don't want one of the trimmed ones they put in normal store meat packaging.  They've removed too much (all?) the fat from those.  You want one in the original cryo packaging the meat packer puts them in.  The only possible advantage to the trimmed and repackaged flats is that they've probably gone through the blade tenderizer...but brisket done right won't be at all tough.

How big depends on what you're doing with it / how many people you're feeding.  Most would recommend a full packer, but those tend to be in the 13-17lb range.  That's a lot of beef.  I've only ever done flats, usually in the 5-7lb range.  These frequently come out a little dry.  I've found when that happens, if I slice them as thin as I can, they make great bbq sandwiches.  I individually froze ~4oz portions in food saver bags and each one became a sandwich.  In the morning, I'd cut the bag open, pour in a little bbq sauce, reseal, and then cut open again and reheat at lunch time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I don't know where you live but I scored a USDA Choice packer at Walmart this AM. Only $1.64 per pound. It was mixed in with a bunch of select grade packers. I normally buy from Costco too.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Probably too late for your brisket cook, but if you can score a packer cut and choice or better you will be about half-way there.  What follows are a few links to help discern the brisket cook.  And it is always finished by feel-when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance then you are there-generally 190-205*F. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.