Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Firebox Crack?

LilEgger
LilEgger Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Pre-Sale Questions
Hi

I am considering the purchase of a small egg to compliment my oval. Last year when I was reading everything I could find on the subject of ceramic cooking,I kept seeing stories of the fire box cracking shortly after they begin to use their smokers. As this is not a problem with the oval, am somewhat concerned.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Jim, I think it is a moot point compared to the enjoyment you'll get out of it ;) BGE does NOT have a crackproof firebox yet, however chances are that it will NOT crack for a long time. Even if it does, you can still use it while waiting for your new one to arrive. It does have a lifetime warranty, but you may have to pay shipping unless your dealer can get one in with some other products.

Email me if you want.

Rumrunner
  • habachi
    habachi Posts: 3
    Jim,
    True story,in 1985 our 1960 model kamado that I brought back from Tachikawa was living in its fifth home in as many states. It was in like new condition and was used year round at least once a week untill it met its demise at the hand of our stupid ex- daughter inlaw. Without notice she put half a bag of starter fluid soaked charcoal in the firebox and left the top off and the draw flue wide open,guess what it cracked. We still have it but it is retired to orniment status now. Many years of proper use,one hour of improper use,enough said.
    Habachi.
  • habachi
    Jim,
    True story,in 1985 our 1960 model kamado that I brought back from Tachikawa was living in its fifth home in as many states. It was in like new condition and was used year round at least once a week untill it met its demise at the hand of our stupid ex- daughter inlaw. Without notice she put half a bag of starter fluid soaked charcoal in the firebox and left the top off and the draw flue wide open,guess what it cracked. We still have it but it is retired to orniment status now. Many years of proper use,one hour of improper use,enough said.
    Habachi.
  • habachi
    Jim,
    Habachi.