Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Dogs

For all you Baseball and Hot Dog lovers out there! 

My wife and I are passionate Baseball fans and we have traveled to just about every MLB stadium over the past 10 years.   Of course, we have some close and new ones open, which keeps us coming back again and again.  But for those who have experienced Wrigley and Fenway, you know the old school experience and nostalgia that comes along with the ticket price.

My wife and I love Chicago, we love the City, the food, the entertainment and the greats sports passion that seems to exude from the city.  Whenever I am there, I am sure to check out the Weber BBQ, have some deep dish pizza, and my fav, the Chicago Dog!  A perfect blend of flavours. 

Just thought I would share this pic in homage to my favourite street meat!   Grilled these all beef dogs on the Egg tonight at 400* indirect for about 15 minutes, steamed the poppy seed buns, added the fresh sliced tomato, pickle spear, diced onion, mustard, relish, and celery salt. 

Just as good as I remember, the only thing missing was the live ball game in front of me
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    You nailed that one! Nothing like a messy dog run through the garden!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014

Ah, the Meca/Friendly Confines.  And I bleed red(Cardinal fan).  Not impressed with Weber's restaurant or any of Chicago's pizza casserole offerings.  I do love me some Al's Italian beef!!!

Done right, beef dog, neon relish, poppy seed bun and all the fixins.  Looks great Monty!!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is awesome.   One of my favorite meals, although I haven't made it at home.  I haven't been able to find the poppy seed buns anywhere locally. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Too bad we didn't have a team in Canada eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Makes me want to yell "Hey batter batter batter swing batter!" Thanks that pic is so doggone good I've done drooled on my phone! Thank goodness for OtterBox! :-D
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Baseball Scene: http://youtu.be/6VB9wziryJQ
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Too bad we didn't have a team in Canada eh?
    It would be nice to have a decent ballpark for said team, the "Skydome", I refuse to call it by its other name is a concrete jungle and monstrosity.  Terrible place to see a game.  I was there last summer and they have a 16" long hot dog, 2" round beast covered in bacon, maple brown beans and peppers... I just couldn't bring myself to do it, but my buddy ate two of them and lived with the regret the rest of the night. 

We have an interesting Baseball house, my wife is a Tigers fan, I am a Twins fan, battle for the central rages on nightly around here.  Not so many good nights for me these past couple season, I have had to remain pretty silent. 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• Monty77
    That is awesome.   One of my favorite meals, although I haven't made it at home.  I haven't been able to find the poppy seed buns anywhere locally. 
    For some stupid reason, those buns are only sold in the summer for street meat vendors, so I have to get them from a specific bakery during the off months.  I guess someone feels hot dogs are only consumed during the summer?  As of May 1'st, they have returned to local supermarkets around here, and I am a happy man again! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The only thing wrong with that dog is... where do I start? 

Steamed buns(seriously?!), sliced tomatoes, pickle spear, relish and celery salt. That's not a hot dog, it's a SALAD!! :)

At least you got the mustard and onions right! 
    :))

You have to get to the end of this to hear Jon Stewart's take on Chicago dogs... but his pizza rant is pretty good too.
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Monty77
    Jon Stewart is a funny guy, never seen this clip before, got a good laugh.  I still stand behind this dog, its got it all for this fan!   When it comes to pizza, NY or Chicago, YES PLEASE! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm with you on the pizza. Not the dog though.  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks much better than the NOLA Lucky Dogs drunks chow down on in the French Quarter.
    Yeah but the gots way better stuff available.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    You betchya dey do.  In the 23 years I've lived in New Orleans I've eaten a total of one Lucky Dog.
    Mebbe a po' boy or some gator.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    What about the sport peppers?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Monty77
    edited May 2014
    JRWhitee said:
    What about the sport peppers?

I am glad you asked that, I cannot seem to find them, not in our grocery stores in Canada, not in the grocery stores I frequent in Michigan?  They usually just fall off when I eat them at the park, but I would like to have them to make it complete.  Based on some of the feedback, I may then have to move this thread to the health forum, cause it would be ever more like a salad?  

• JRWhitee
    edited May 2014
    Here is everything you need, you can do some Italian beefs while your at it.

GO HAWKS!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Monty77
    JRWhitee said:
    Here is everything you need, you can do some Italian beefs while your at it.

Nice, that is perfect!  Thanks!  

• JRWhitee
    @monty77 your food and pics look fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Monty77
    JRWhitee said:
    @monty77 your food and pics look fantastic.
    Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.  Cooking and photography are my passion and great hobbies

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Mmmm vienna beef.... brings me back to high school! Gyros, Polish, hot dogs & hot italian beef sandwiches. Om nom nom...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Luckily this is a few miles from me:

It is where I get my fix. 

The neon green onions and all the feeexins are a magical concoction.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    edited May 2014
    Here is mine in Atlanta (Milton), Georgia.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    SmokeyPitt said... where I get my fix. 
    I understand, but tonight this was where I served up our chili dog fix...I LOVE this knock off Varisty sauce from a recipe that I have posted here before. BTW it even rocks when a teaspoon goes in the bottom of an ABT. Surprises can be wonderful! BTW YES that is grease! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I like all types of hotdogs and at Sonic you can usually get many types and I like the Chicago hotdog. I also likes all kinds of pizza too and right now I miss it, because it and hotdogs are not on my diet right now. I've had pizza once in the last 4 months. :(
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Monty77
    I like all types of hotdogs and at Sonic you can usually get many types and I like the Chicago hotdog. I also likes all kinds of pizza too and right now I miss it, because it and hotdogs are not on my diet right now. I've had pizza once in the last 4 months. :(
    This forum has to be one heck of a temptation man, I can't imagine being on a diet and trying to view these posts, so many good looking foods and ideas going on, I would make myself crazy.  Best of luck with the diet, I'm sure you got your reasons for doing it, good for you for sticking with it.  

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Oh God, my mouth is watering for a soft steamed poppy seed bun filled with all the good stuff, neon relish, LOTS of sport peppers...little stores that sell Vienna Chicago dogs always close eventually and I am verklempt, abandoned again.

A little joint near my high school laid fresh french fries across the top of the open bun. One of my dearest and clearest memories.

Judy in San Diego
  • nolaegghead
    Judy, as with every living thing, businesses all inevitably die. 

I am reminded by your post of the french fry po-boy, which in the historical popular culture of New Orleans, was the original po-boy (at least in name "poor boy" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po'_boy ).  I still see them on menus around town.  They're always the cheapest po-boy on the menu, but never vegan with the roast beef gravy. 

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/cuisine/traditionalfoods/poboys.html
    Nothing better than a Vienna dog dragged thru the garden nesting in the steamed bun. The perfect combination.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx