Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butt cook question

Options
I have a bigger crowd coming over this weekend and need to cook two butts.  Does cooking two butts at the same time affect cooking time?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Not signifcantly.
    NOLA
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    No, other than perhaps slightly longer recovery time to return to dome  temperature.

There are too many other variables for anyone to say that an extra butt extends the cook to any definitive degree.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I cook 2 butts at the same time a lot and it takes pretty much the same time. I stick them both in my inverted rib rack. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I cooked 6 butts on my XL about 2 months ago. Even 6 didn't make a significant impact. 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    And don't worry about them touching.  That has zero effect on cook time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    And regardless of how close they may be in weight, don't eggspect them to finish at about the same time.  Each will do its own thing til done.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Two not really, more than two I've found it does usually. Lou is right, check both internal's before pulling them off though.
    Dearborn MI