Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pork butt!

Options
Dawnl
Dawnl Posts: 252
Did a 7.25 # bone in pork butt yesterday, rubbed it with Mickey's coffee rub (first time using this rub) and did a turbo cook @350 for 6 1/2 hours.  I tell you it was awesome, love, love the coffee rub.  Will be doing this one again soon!  Sorry didn't take a pic of the butt before I pulled it, the bark was tasteee.  Served it with sweated onions, homemade bbq sauce on a fresh kaiser roll, man it was good.
Ottawa Valley, Ontario

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great. Welcome aboard.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Damn that look's good!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Dawnl
    Options
    It was , I am sorry, I didn't take a pic before it was pulled, the bark was amazing, just like candy.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • BrianDlaw
    BrianDlaw Posts: 5
    Options
    Okay, now here is my question.  Did you put any water in the pan or did you just sit the pan on the plate setter and allow the drippings to accumulate?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

Most eggcellent cook. 

And @BrianDlaw-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Regardless of water or not in the pan-elevate the pan from the platesetter so any drippings don't burn. Easy to do with some balled up foil, washers...you get the idea.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dawnl
    Options
    What lousubcap said, no water in the pan, elevated with foil balls.  Easy , so easy!  And so freckin good.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I never use water. Never elevate the drip pan either,  for that matter. Always good eats. 

But I never would have considered coffee rub on a butt either. LOL.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I used @Mickey rub on a butt..pork butt and everyone loved it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Maybe one of these days. Do like my usual though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dawnl
    Options
    Thanks everyone, turbo is the way for me, many thanks for the coffee rub Mickey!  You da man!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So glad you liked it. We use it as well
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BrianDlaw
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome. I am going to do a 9ish pound butt tomorrow while I do yard work. Should I rub the night before or a couple of hours before I put it on? Going to use 3 Little Pigs rub. All thoughts are welcome.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Brian, I never rub until it's time to put it on the grill. Some do it the night before, some barely remember to do it at all. I'm the latter. :) Comes out pretty good.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BrianDlaw
    Options
    Okay, here is the before...
  • BrianDlaw
    Options
    And here is the After... Six and one-half hours later at 400 degrees...
  • BrianDlaw
    Options
    Sorry, technical issues...