Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a place to eat in Austin that is open on Monday

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
My sister is in Austin for the day and I told her to visit Franklin's or La Barbequeue, both of which are closed on Mondays. Any other recommendations I could give her that is good bbq that would be open for dinner? Thanks!
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I'm not from there and I'm sure some of the locals will chime in, but without your first two choices for BBQ, County Line is pretty good and a nice setting.  I really like their Hill location.  And definitely sit outside on the patio....great views of the Hill Country. 

Also if Tex-Mex is an option, we usually go to Matt's El Rancho on S. Lamar when in Austin and love it.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    Black's BBQ in Lockhart! They are open until 8pm and she will not be disappointed. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor is pretty old school authentic.  
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Black's BBQ in Lockhart! They are open until 8pm and she will not be disappointed. 
    Well, your write-up pretty much summed that up so I directed her there. Thanks!
    Dunedin, FL
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    If she's a live music fan, Bob Schneider is back at the Saxon Pib tonight. Definitely worthwhile.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• vettman
    vettman Posts: 26
    Options
    She could travel just outside of Austin to a place called Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX...Great place and atmosphere, you can bring your own beverage and sit outside and drink till they call ya to dinner.  In Hill Country nice country setting and good BBQ.

Doug

LG, MiniMax BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mcdonalds. ..McRib

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not a fan of Salt Lick. Not a BBQ place but real Austin: Threadgills.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't do salt licks...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    Don't do salt licks...
    If you do Salt Lick, just get the sausage. It's a neat place overall but the brisket was quite dry when I went, my FIL said they where having a "good" day.
  • tickbyte
    tickbyte Posts: 24
    Options
    Ribs are the best thing at Salt Lick. Franklins is a 3 hour wait on a regular day.  Rudy's sub par at best. Green Mesquite is ok, or take a little trip to elgin about 30 min or so and eat at Southside Market or Myers. But I am not sure if any are open for Memorial day. Come to my house I will be cooking... well not really at my house 
    ;)
    Large Egg.   Pflugerville, Texas  I Also brew my own beer
  • tickbyte
    tickbyte Posts: 24
    Options
    vettman said:
    She could travel just outside of Austin to a place called Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX...Great place and atmosphere, you can bring your own beverage and sit outside and drink till they call ya to dinner.  In Hill Country nice country setting and good BBQ.
    They have one in Round Rock too and it is much closer off 79 but not BYOB but still family style all you can eat.
    Large Egg.   Pflugerville, Texas  I Also brew my own beer
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    tickbyte said:
    Ribs are the best thing at Salt Lick. Franklins is a 3 hour wait on a regular day.  Rudy's sub par at best. Green Mesquite is ok, or take a little trip to elgin about 30 min or so and eat at Southside Market or Myers. But I am not sure if any are open for Memorial day. Come to my house I will be cooking... well not really at my house 
    ;)
    When I went, the ribs where on the level of the brisket. Rudys was actually my second favorite place behind Franklins, on par with LaBBQ. They must have had a good day.
  • Pendejo
    Pendejo Posts: 22
    edited May 2014
    Options
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    tickbyte said:
    ;)
    When I went, the ribs where on the level of the brisket. Rudys was actually my second favorite place behind Franklins, on par with LaBBQ. They must have had a good day.
    I can assure you that La Barbecue had a bad day when you went!  
    B-)

I'll agree that Franklin is #1 though.  :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....