Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not egg related, high gluten flour makes great difference

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited May 2014 in Baking
I may start baking these once I get an AR and can do 2 level on the egg. But for now sticking to indoor. I use a sourdough starter that's 4 months old in the fridge , add only salt , flour, and the starter.
But my bagels and self made everything topping worked out great today. Very happy!
Seattle, WA

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Oy vay. You should need some lox, vot? they look great.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Those look awesome.  What is your recipe? 

Also did you do your own starter from scratch, or purchase one commercially?  details please!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Hey I have 2 seperate starters going , one from the william & sonoma kit that is the container and starter, and another that was from the fesh loaf.com .

Both have been working great once I got them up and going. It took some practice but now they are thriving and ready to go when called upon.

Recipe for these bagels was simply a few cups of sponge ( this is starter and additional flour and water added and allowed to sit for a few hours or overnight). You can tell by the activity when the sponge is ready. I took about 3 cups of sponge and 3-4 cups of flour and salt. Mixed it in the KA and thats all she wrote.

Once my dough is  mixed I break up into little balls for the first rise (9) in this case. After the first rise I roll out and form into bagels ( see youtube clip) for the second rise. Once the second rise is done boil some water with baking soda and honey, cook for one minute each side. Dunk the top into everything mix and once they are all ready and boiled bake 11-12 minutes a side @ 425.

Not everything has to be exact. My dough is mostly by feel when adding flour to the sponge, it all gets better than practice. Like I mentioned above this was my first shot with Pendelton High Gluten flour and it makes a great difference. Now I need to get better at regular bread making and incorporate some wheat, oats etc.
    Seattle, WA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Sounds simple, but I bet it is not - you have a knack from the looks.  I have considered doing a starter, but the need for regular feeding seems like it will be beyond me with travel, etc.  It is nice to imagine though!  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY