Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Ribeye Steak

grussem
grussem Posts: 120
edited May 2014 in Beef
Hey Everyone,

So I got two boneless ribeye steaks, about a pound each (1 1/2 inches thick each).  My last few steaks I have done a reverse sear however I don't want to do this this time and I have read up quite a bit on high heat searing and shutting down the vents until the steaks reach desired temp.  Does anyone have any tips or advice as to what temperature and time to sear each side, and how long to leave them in after I shut down the vents?  I like my steak medium rare but the wife-unit likes hers a bit more than that.  I plan on putting my cast iron pan in the egg while the steaks are resting and sautéing onions and garlic in olive oil to top the steaks off with.  Anyhow, thanks in advance for your tips.  If you're on the central coast you should stop by the San Juan Bautista Rib Cook Off this weekend.  Happy Grilling!  I'll post pictures when the steaks are done!

Comments

• Don't do it.

It's the "Sear and Dwell" method.  Perhaps the best way to ruin a steak, especially a more fatty rib eye.

It works ok with lean cuts like tenderloin, but it is still flawed in the approach.

The idea is to get a raging fire going, sear, and then shut dpwn the grill and let it roast on the residual heat.

But what you get is a dying fire, smoldering, and worse (with rub eyes) any dripping fat will smolder too, and all the smoke has no where to go but on the steak.

Nine times out of ten, a newcomer to the forum will make their first post about their steak tasting "too smokey".  It turns out, it's not merely "too" smokey, but BAD smoke, and they did it following the sear and dwell method.

Give it a shot if you'd like, but there are better ways to cook a steak on the egg.  Reverse sear, sear/roast, hot-tub. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY