Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Temperature 200 with Thermapen

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
I use a cheap Ready Check temperature probe that  stays in the meat.  It says 200.  When I stick it with my new Thermapen it says 185 in the deep middle of the meat.

Do I need to let the middle get to 200 on the Thermapen?

Thanks!
__________ Chris

Comments

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Some say they should be checked after 190 for tenderness and see if they will allow you to pull bone easily. I cook to 205 middle IT every time no matter what and its always perfect. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If the desired end result is pulled pork then yes take the internal to 200. If you are making sliced pork you can pull it now . Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Pulled pork is the goal.  I will let it cook for a while more.

Thanks.
    __________ Chris
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As @plumbfir01 says, if you have a bone-in butt, that is the best finish-line indicator.  If you can pull the bone clean then you are there-any resistance and keep on going.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    If one says 200, and the other 185, then one of them is incorrect.

Check them both in boiling water.  Otherwise, you aren't taking the temperature in the same spot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I know there are exceptions to every rule but more often than not when comparing temp readings between the Thermapen and other thermometers the Thermapen is usually correct as long as it's not out of calibration. I find it to be very precise to say the least. @SenecaTheYounger‌ makes a very valid point that with the temp difference that you are seeing one of them is out of calibration.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.