Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump reducer for Large

Options
jllbms
jllbms Posts: 381
Great concept on XL, but is there one for L? Thanks, John.
Kemah, TX

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

No......you still need to heat the same amount of Egg.  So it will use the same amount of charcoal.

The XL makes sense for searing.  I think the divider is a better concept than the reducing ring though.  I can see using it, but just light it off to one side if you need to sear something real quick.

In the end, if you spent a bunch of money on one of these, how much charcoal are you going to have to convince yourself you saved to pay for it??  It's like buying a Small BGE to save on charcoal.  Or buying/financing a brand new hybrid car because you "can't afford" to put gas in that 10 y/o pickup truck that's paid off.  If you want it--buy it--don't try to convince yourself of the economics (because you'll be lucky if you break even in the end.)  LOL.

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    One great thing about this forum is that everyone has an opinion about everything and everyone is right!

I have one of these for the large.  Was about 20 bucks on e-bay.  SWMBO and I were egging 22-25 nights a month and I was flying thru the lump, looking for any way to save money on fuel.

It works great!  The only hitch is it is a PITA.  Gets the job done fine, and does reduce the area in the firebox that lump spreads too, so it holds fewer pieces.  

It also makes a fantastic riser for raised direct cooking.

stlcharcoal I did end up buying a small to save money on charcoal too.  But I did it in trade with my dealer by facilitating $ 500 worth of demos.  Small, large, or large with a lump cage, my charcoal does go farther than it had in the past-

Cheers-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• jllbms
    Options
    Yeah, I already have a large.  However, I too, burn through quite a lot of lump.  It would make sense for *grilling* of a few items to restrict the surface area and thus, amount being burned.
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    Options
    @allsid - thank you.  I located it on ebay!
    Kemah, TX
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Check out the Ash Dragon lump divider on Amazon.  It splits a large firebox into two halves.  (I bought one for my KJ Classic - problem is, the new 'Divide and Conquer' system is similar to CGS spider at the lower level but welded to the outer ring - and the Ash Dragon doesn't quite sit right - but it's still functional).

In a LBGE, it'd work awesome and you could split the firebox into two equal halves.  His newer model (which is the one I bought) actually allows you to split it into quarters also, although I can't think of a time I'd do that.

It'd about $80 if I remember right, and the guy (Kurt?) who makes them seems like a good chap..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    Options
    allsid said:

It works great!  The only hitch is it is a PITA.  

Curious, what makes it a PITA for you?

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You could just use a coffee can with holes punched in it or a stainless steel pasta colander. If you want really low temps use a few briqettes to keep your smoking wood burning.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jllbms
    Options
    Lump reducer LBGE working beautifully on a small cook. eBay $20.
    Kemah, TX
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Or you could go old school like when I was a kid and just make a small pile of coals in the center of the firebox and stack it leaving room around the edges LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • jllbms
    Options
    You could, but this stacks higher and keeps the lump from clogging the side holes.
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    Options
    Had they imported the Egg from Japan when you were a kid? :)
    Kemah, TX
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    No we had to dig a hole in the ground lol.
    Dearborn MI