Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Mickey's Coffee Rub

Folks, I've had my XL for about a year. I'm hooked! I've learned a lot stalking you guys on the forum! What kind of salt do most use in Mickey's coffee rub? I've got some fat NY strips for tonight. Thanks in Advance.
Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pure sodium chloride. 
    ...and welcome to the forum!!

Kosher. BTW, Mickey cut his salt to half. I cut it to 1/3 of THAT! I start with 2T of coffee and just one teaspoon of salt.

Welcome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Thanks guys
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Kosher. BTW, Mickey cut his salt to half. I cut it to 1/3 of THAT! I start with 2T of coffee and just one teaspoon of salt.

Welcome!

I was going to add that I found the original very salty. It's good, but I would cut down the salt.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

buzd504 said:

Welcome!

I was going to add that I found the original very salty. It's good, but I would cut down the salt.
    Doc says 2000 mg sodium per day. 2000 mg is ONE LOUSY TEASPOON of table salt!!! More or less. And virtually everything has sodium in it, I've gotten used to it, but it was a challenge. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I used MORTON'S!!!

=))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I have a question!!

All I could find at the local Latin American food store was ground arbol chile.

Anyone ever tried this? It is hotter on the scale than ancho (dried pablano), but I hope not too hot. 

Wife isn't a fan of hot spices, so if anyone could provide their thoughts it would be greatly appreciated!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Ballardbbq
    Ballardbbq Posts: 27
    The finer the grain, the less you should use. Table salt is really fine, kosher less so. I use sea salt. Mickey's Coffee Rub is the best! I'm having a hard time finding a commercial rub, for when I feel lazy, that stands up to it's flavor.

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2014
    I thought the Medaglia D'oro instant expresso would be hard to find, but I bought it at Kroger!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fence0407
    RRP said:
    I thought the Medaglia D'oro instant expresso would be hard to find, but I bought it at Kroger!
    Publix only had the Italian blend - off to Kroger I go!
    Cumming, GA  

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Ancho is 1000-2000 on the Scovill scale Arbol is 15000-30000. Quite a difference.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • fence0407
    Ancho is 1000-2000 on the Scovill scale Arbol is 15000-30000. Quite a difference.
    Thanks - now I'm not so sure I should use it for this coffee rub. I'd probably like it, but SWMBO wouldn't.

Now - where to find ancho powder?
    Cumming, GA  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I just substituted Mexene Chili Powder
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fence0407
    Thanks @RRP - I'll see what I have at the house. I brought some chili powder back from Albuquerque, just can't remember what kind it was.
    Cumming, GA  

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Look at Penzeys online. $14 for 1 lb.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2014
    @fence0407 I get my Ancho chile powder at Kroger in Johns Creek you would think they all would sell it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    Thanks @JRWhitee - I'd assume they all sell it around here then too. I'll check out the one at Windward and 9.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    fence0407 said:
    Thanks @JRWhitee - I'd assume they all sell it around here then too. I'll check out the one at Windward and 9.
    Kroger had the answer! made 16oz of Mickey's Coffee Rub last night. Can't wait to give it a try!
    Cumming, GA  

• Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63
    edited June 2014

Made this for some ribeyes this weekend.Fantastic.

I bought a big bag of ancho chili powder and instant espresso on Amazon.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    < src="jjjmk
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    fence0407 said:
    fence0407 said:
    Kroger had the answer! made 16oz of Mickey's Coffee Rub last night. Can't wait to give it a try!
    Thats great, I need to try the coffee rub too.

Johns Creek, Georgia