Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 chickens, 5 turkey sausages, and 12 veggie skewers

Options
That was yesterday's grilling adventure.  And it turned out great.  But I think I need to calibrate the temperature.  Once I put the 4 chickens on -using large egg with AR and extender and grilling direct - the temperature dropped from 450 to about 200 and the best I could do for the rest of the cook was around 275 with the vents fully open.  Chickens got done in a responsible time considering how jammed the grill was.  So I'm guessing maybe the gauge is off.  I just bought this grill - it is a demo.  Does that sound right?  Or do you think something else is going on?

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Any chance the thermometer was touching some of the food if you had it loaded up that full and that high in the dome?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When grilling direct, learn to "feel" the heat with your hand and eyes.  The dome thermometer reading is moot.
    Options
    Maybe it was touching - and the heat seemed fine - the chickens cooked up fine - but I used up all lump charcoal - it literally burned itself out - I guess that's what I need to learn - rely less on what the temp reads and go with what's actually going on!