Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine or No Brine

Options
PigskinBarbeque
PigskinBarbeque Posts: 42
edited May 2014 in Poultry
I've never tried this but I wanted to get feedback from people who have cooked chicken with and without doing a brine.
what are the pros and cons?
I Smoke

Comments

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I've always been a big advocate of brining when roasting chickens in the oven, but I haven't found much of a need for it on the egg. I've done 4 spatchcocks on the egg with no brine and haven't missed it. The meat has had plenty of flavor and stayed moist. The benefit of brining would be to get more seasoning inside the meat and make it a little more resistant to over cooking. Con is is that it makes it pretty difficult to get a crispy skin unless you let it dry out in the fridge for a day or two after brining.

Try one of each and see how they compare!
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If you got the time brine. If not oh well
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    No brine, spatchcock direct raised grid 400F with a healhy coat off mickeys coffee rub.... promise you will no look back.
    Beaufort, SC
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Do two - one brined, one without.  See if you can tell the difference.  My guess would be no.  Spatchcock is great without brining.  There is no need to complicate it with extra steps.  Part of the beauty is that it can be done in a very short period of time with little prep.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Brining makes a judge difference IMHO,

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe