Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question.

Options
Im putting on a rack of st louis style spare ribs in about 30 min. I have an ar with the extender. Is it best to do ribs as high in the dome as i can get them or just do them at felt level? Also is the a good idea to add some water to my drip pan?

Thanks
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    I do them felt level, no water in the drip pan.

High in the dome would (might) expose them to more direct exhaust gasses.  I do not know if this would be better or worse.  I can only say that my ribs and butt cooks are effectively felt-level or close to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    I do them felt level, no water in the drip pan.

High in the dome would (might) expose them to more direct exhaust gasses.  I do not know if this would be better or worse.  I can only say that my ribs and butt cooks are effectively felt-level or close to it.

Thanks for the input. That is the way I have always done them also. I just wanted to see how everyone else does them.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited May 2014
    Options

I typically do them at the felt line, but when I have too many racks for single grid on the XL, I use the AR with multiple levels.  Using CGS oval grids, I rotate the ribs so they end up a little more uniformly smoked and cooked.  It's simple - just exchange the top grid with the intermediate level.

I do not use any water in the drip pan, but I do mine Turbo.

Santa Paula, CA