Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free Heat

Options
People are always surprised when I tell them I can cook more than just meats and veggies on the Egg.  I make most of our meals at home on the Egg, because its fun and the food just taste better, so why not? 

I had been using the Egg all day and once I closed off the vents, I took advantage of the free heat that the Egg would have for the next couple hours and did up a batch of Cinnamon Buns.  I greased up a cookie sheet for this cook, but I have done them on the plate setter (legs down) as well in the past with either foil or parchment paper.  I put them on while the egg was at 370* ish and the cooked for 28 minutes.  There was no wood smoke left in the Egg, but the natural charcoal smoke just gave it a nice aroma.  Once they started to golden up I removed them and the temp was still around 350*. 

I let them stand for approximately 5 minutes, they smelled so good I just had to try one!  I spread the icing, and served within minutes. 

I love my egg for this extra feature, I have made cookies, corn breads, cakes and other pastry style desserts while the Egg is cooling,

Just a suggestion for those who have not taken advantage of the free heat!  FWIW

Always a nice treat, whether its breakfast or just a snack.   
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    Free is always good especially when cinnamon buns are evolved!!!!   Good post!!!

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Used my free heat after wings yesterday to bake some cookies.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    DMW said:
    Used my free heat after wings yesterday to bake some cookies.
    One of my fav's as well, chocolate chunk all the way! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• Monty77
    Options
    I hope this post is not too basic, I just find that there are some people I have spoken too that never think to utilize this free heat and make something fun and delicious in the process, So I thought it would be good to share this topic! 

• Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for posting, great idea. I do this with pizza and make a dessert pizza which the kids love. This one was Nutella, banana, white chocolate & coconut.
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I never thought of this,But will try this tomorrow. Thank you!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A word of caution... When you close the vents, the coals do not immediately extinguish themselves. When you open the dome to add your "free" food, you allow oxygen back into the egg. And the potential for flashback. Been there.

No reason not to do it, just a reason to be careful. And the cinnamon buns look AWESOME!!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Monty77
    Options
    Totally agree with you, I don't usually worry about that if the egg was under 400 when I close it up! A simple burp will also help deter any possible flashes. Great comment for safety though as I have lost some arm hair and an eye brow once due to this! Live and learn!