Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
Bob923
Bob923 Posts: 23

Doing a brisket on the egg today.  Should I do it low and slow with indirect heat

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When do you want it done and how much does it weigh brother?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bob923
    Options

Doing it today, and it weighs 9 lbs

• SGH
    Options
    Sorry I should have said what time today do you want it done?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bob923
    Options

Time doesn't matter for today.  We will be eating it tomorrow

• SGH
    Options
    That being said I would put it on now at 225-250 degrees and let run it's course. And definitely cook indirect my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If time is not a factor I would low and slow.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I did a 9.5 lb'er last weekend and it took 16.5 hours at 225* indirect, just to give you an idea of time.  Each brisket is different for the cook, but definitely go indirect.  FWIW. 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• SGH
    Options
    @Bob923‌
    At 9lbs it's either a small packer or a large flat but you didn't say which. Mind if I ask which it is? Just curious.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Packer or big flat cut as that will have a timing impact...personally if eating tomorrow, I would start tonight and finish Sunday sometime AM (aim to finish around 3-4 hours before consumption time) and use FTC (foil, towels and cooler) to hold til ready to slice and eat.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I agree with @lousubcap in terms of cooking it so that it's done closer to the time you want to eat. Is there a particular reason or reasons you want to cook it today?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Mines been on since 12 last night. 250 or so temp just about done. 8 lbs.
    Seattle, WA
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Search Travis method and cen tex method. These are both great approaches with you excellent detail.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE