Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Nachos

Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited May 2014 in Appetizers
Just finished a batch of one of my favourite apps to make on the Egg, cedar planked nachos

I cook some chicken breast up on the egg a day or two before I plan to make the nachos, I slice them into nice strips and marinate overnight in franks red hot buffalo sauce and red pepper flakes.  

When I begin prep the nachos, I get my 12" cedar plank that has been soaking for about 1-1.5 hours, and start to place tostitos scoops onto the plank, preferably upright to catch the delicious toppings in them.  I cut up green and red peppers, onion, fresh cooked bacon, chives, the marinated chicken breast strips, and one or two jalapeno peppers depending on the crowd.  I ensure layer one gets a good portion of toppings and then cover with 5 cheese blend and swamp venom from DP.  I then make a second layer with the same steps, sometimes even a third layer...

I place the plank of nachos on my preheated egg at 375-400* and cook direct for about 15-25 minutes or when cheese is melted to perfection.  

For those who have not tried nachos cooked on the cedar plank, its worth the effort as the flavours from the cedar are absorbed by the cheese and chicken creating a wonderful aroma and taste.  

I hope you enjoy it as much as my friends and I do!  Cheers! 

Note, must be served with cold beverages to enhance the experience and taste!  
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments