Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Green Beans-Steel Plate

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Last night, I egged a whole package of chicken thighs and a few chicken breasts. Tonight, I wanted to try a new recipe for blackened green beans. I recently picked up a 1/4" steel plate for pizza and for use as a high temp griddle. Washed, but not yet seasoned. Haven't had a chance to cut it to fit the egg yet, but it does (barely) fit on the Weber (14"x16").

I dumped a chimney full of lump in the kettle, applied a layer of canola all over both sides of the steel plate and let it get good and hot. My version of seasoning the steel. :) 

Sliced up half a chicken breast from last night, wrapped it in foil and threw it on the steel just to reheat. Tossed some green beans in some evoo and a good bit of homemade Prudhomme's blackening seasoning. Then onto the steel plate. Every couple of minutes, I tossed the beans and after 6 minutes, I plated the beans and reheated chicken. 

Nice and spicy!! Might cook the beans a bit longer next time, but I will definitely do this again! And I really LOVE the steel!! It's huge, gets extremely hot. I may jut leave it as is and continue using it on the Weber. And for pizza in the oven. :)

Beans looked pretty much like this...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks pretty good. Any veggie you can do over fire is instantly made better!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I like veggies, no matter where they're cooked. I do like the steel though. So far. I wouldn't pay what Baking Steel charges, but at scrap metal prices ($14), it's awesome!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Looks good Q.

Was talking with Wok On Medium today on how steel will be a great accompaniment to sous vide.  She too, decided to join the fun.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice use of blackening seasoning.  I haven't thought to try it on veggies.  A pan might be a little easier (and I do love my 2 baking steels) because you could flip.