Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking 2 Butts, Different Sizes

Options
cayenne
cayenne Posts: 8

I have two butts that I'm smoking tomorrow afternoon/evening, but I have never done this when they were two different weights... One of them is 9.5lbs and the other is 6.5lbs.

Should I just toss the second one on the egg somewhere around 5 hours later and attempt to finish them both about the same time?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I would throw them on at the same time and let them each finish when they are done. If one FTCs for an hour or two longer than the other one, it will not hurt anything.

No matter how much you try to estimate, holding one out to try and finish them at the same time will be tough.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    That is what I would do that way they will finish somewhat close to the same time. If the smaller gets done early anyway then you can always wrap it in foil, towels and place in a warm cooler (FTC) until the other is done cooking.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I agree with Chris. You can drive yourself crazy trying to match up the timing. And you never know if they will cook at same pace anyway. I would also put both on at same time and then just FTC a little longer on the smaller one if it gets done.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • cayenne
    cayenne Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm timing the large one to end somewhere around 7-9AM Saturday morning, I have to go to a graduation and will need to reheat for the party that evening. Hopefully the smaller one cooks slower, if not, looks like I'll be getting up in the wee hours of the morning.
  • Scotbradly725
    Options
    Ok what does FTC stand for?
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Ok what does FTC stand for?
    Foil, Towel, Cooler
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I gotta agree with the the others here, start them both same time, let them finish when they finish.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I always thought it was the Federal Trade Commission.  I guess that's because I just FC.  The towel doesn't do anything in a cooler but add more mass to heat up.  That is, if you have a cooler with an air-tight seal.  Otherwise you could substitute a 8-13 gal kitchen garbage bag for the towel if you have a leaky cooler.