Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wooden Deck Crew - Do I Get A Grill Mat??

Options
MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends, An exciting upcoming move for me has me planning where the BGE will live. There's an elevated wooden deck at the new house. I know there'll be grease splatters and maybe an occasional ember, but grill mats look, to me, unsightly and like they'll trap water underneath. Suggestions? Your experiences? Thanks! 8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    i dont have one for mine. I just try and keep it as clean as I can. Its a little darker in front of my cart but a power wash should remove the grime. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I use a round mat under my medium since it in a nest, but when done I take the mat back to my garage. May sound like a pita but I've seen what long term discoloration can come from the mat when left down. My large and small are in a table and with the screens and a metal tray I use which slips temporarily under those eggs I feel comfortable egging on my wooden deck...knocking on wood!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I saw one too many fire pics. My egg is no longer on my deck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    I bought 12x12 ceramic tiles at Lowes and laid down loose under my table
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Any precaution you can take against fire is worth it...Trust me!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I have had 2 people that I know with major fires from having a grill on their deck.

One was not an Egg, but she lost her house, and her pets.  She barely got out herself.

The other one was an Egg.  His neighbor called him to wake him up to tell him that his deck was on fire.  He is really lucky that he has a brick house, or he would have lost more than his deck.  By the time he got outside the Egg was laying on the ground under the deck.

It also seems that these fires tend to ignite at night when people are asleep.   I guess it's just the timing of the embers falling out while cooking dinner then sparking up later.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    With five on my wooden deck you could say the deck surface is "well seasoned".  :D  I watch them closely, but the "f word" scares me as more people talk about it!

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Not trying to rain on the parade, but without serious vigilance the BGE on a wood surface is "playing with fire".  And sure you can mitigate the down-side but you can't mitigate required attention should you go that route.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    This is not aimed AT anyone but I believe subconsciously the fire issue is why I who still use my eggs on a wooden deck became a convert to the turbo method! I see no gain on over night unsupervised cooks. If my egg is hot then I'm awake! Besides that I swear turbo on the egg is the same as low and slow as produced by inferior cookers!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP - agree, I like to be awake and near it when it is "alive". All butts/briskets are cooked during the day. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Yeah. I sleep on the second floor. Guess I'm coming up with a different idea...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Time to post some pics again?

Fire is HOT people!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    How likely is a cracked bottom during a low and slow overnight I guess is my question? I have had mine on my cedar deck for about three years with no mat and no issues but I only do an occasional overnight most of the time I am on it throughout the cook with a knob creek in hand! This fire catastrophy thing causes me concern but not enough to build a patio!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Doesn't have to be a cracked egg. Sparks happen. And Steven's house fire was caused by a gasser.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My neighbor growing up lost their house from their grill being on the back deck. Only thing left of their house was studs and the foundation. Scary stuff
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options

Doesn't have to be a cracked egg. Sparks happen. And Steven's house fire was caused by a gasser.

IIRC that was a garage fire not a deck fire?

I'm going to BGE in a bunker from now on.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited May 2014
    Options
    While fire is definitely a scary thing I am grilling on a wood deck. I was raised in a fashion that will not allow me to light any kind of fire and walk away. I never light my grill and go to the store. I never light the grill and go to bed. I will never leave my grill unattended while it is hot. I am not criticizing those of you who do and maybe I would feel different if it was on a patio in the middle of my back yard with an acre of gravel around it but is not and I will never leave it without an eyeball or two watching it. Fire is a very scary thing and it doesn't discriminate on any level. If you light it you own it! I do have one of the matts sold at depot that is made of a concrete type material in front of the grill just in case the an ember lands there from the vent and I'm inside getting a beer or something!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have mine on a wooden deck and I am always worried when using it.  I have not done an over nighter in a while but when I did I got ZERO sleep.  I live in a Bi-Level ranch where the kitchen/deck is on the second floor.  I had the old gasser up there for years then when I got the egg I had it down on the lawn - it became a PITA to use standing in the mud cooking and carrying the food up and down the stairs.  I moved the Egg upstairs on the deck (gasser is now unused under my deck).  While its easier to use and easy access to the kitchen I am worried of fire all the time and the worries get worse as I read/see these stories.  At times I dont want to use it at all - especially windy days.  I dont have a "Good spot" to put the Egg.  I do have a stone patio now installed downstairs off the wooden deck that connects to the pool but its right next to the house. What's the difference between being on the wooden deck and an ember flys out vs. the ember flying out hitting the deck or the side of the house?  Plus if its downstairs I would just get rid of it shortly as its not user-friendly carrying all the food/utensils up and down the stairs for every cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Rob, I know it would be less convenient, but walking up and down stairs multiple times during each cook would be good exercise! Something to consider.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

Rob, I know it would be less convenient, but walking up and down stairs multiple times during each cook would be good exercise! Something to consider.

I have to go in and out of my garage with a flight of stairs. A pain, yes but the risk of the house catching on fire probably gets reduced by 98%. You get use to it. Well worth the extra trip.

My neighbors house fire was caused by a small ember that got lodged in between the deck boards. They were watching the grill as well. 4-5 hours later after the grill was shut down and forgotten about that ember stayed hot enough and long enough to start the wood deck on fire. Long asleep at this point of time. They woke up to windows shattering and their house in flames.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    A little unrelated, but I had a gasser catch fire.  Luckily it was not against the house so the only damage was the a plant and the gasser itself.  This was the nudge I needed to get the BGE, thinking that it would not catch fire LOL. In any case my egg is on concrete and not up against the house.  I plan on getting a prep table, but will leave the egg in its nest.  The gasser fire was scary enough.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    IIRC that was a garage fire not a deck fire? I'm going to BGE in a bunker from now on.
    Nope. Deck...imageimage

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Just to throw this out there- how much help do you think it would be if you replaced the wood deck boards with aluminum decking?  I have seen some like these:

...that seem fit tight together so even if the rafters below were wood a stray spark could likely not slip through. 

Probably ridonkulously expensive though. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    Just thinking hypothetically. What's the difference between being on the wooden deck and an ember flys out vs. the ember flying out hitting the deck or the side of the house if it's on the lawn. Down in the yard it would be next to the wooden deck or next to the house. A ember could fly out the top and catch the deck on fire. Unless you are talking putting the egg by itself in the middle of the yard by itself on the grass. If that's the case then forget it. I live in a rural development surrounded by other houses and yards. As for walking up and down the stairs - not, so much the walking but carrying everything = dropping everything as I am doing it. Making bazillions of trips. I understand the risk of preventing fire but if it's downstairs I would just get rid of it which may be the thing to do. I am cooking right now on the egg. Clean out the ash - into the kitchen to dump the ash, Load the egg with lump - in the kitchen to wash hands - get the food into the kitchen and to the egg and bring the plate back into the kitchen to be washed - back into the kitchen for tends to flip the meat - then egg a serving dish from the kitchen to the egg and get the cooked food back to the kitchen. Back out to the egg to shut it down - now worry that it shut down and nothing sparked outside the egg. If the egg were downstairs this becomes a pita. Especially when coking a large amount of food or more complex cooks where different things are going on different times. Would become not worth the effort to use that is all. When I did have it down there it was more of a chore than pleasure mad the gasser was easier to use on the deck to cook a hamburger or chicken breast. now with the egg we cook more elaborate meals. Just thinking about it.

Garnerville, NY
  • MeridianSun
    MeridianSun Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't care how long it had been. I would never dump the ash in the house trash. Bad move.
    robnybbq said:

Just thinking hypothetically. What's the difference between being on the wooden deck and an ember flys out vs. the ember flying out hitting the deck or the side of the house if it's on the lawn. Down in the yard it would be next to the wooden deck or next to the house. A ember could fly out the top and catch the deck on fire. Unless you are talking putting the egg by itself in the middle of the yard by itself on the grass. If that's the case then forget it. I live in a rural development surrounded by other houses and yards.

As for walking up and down the stairs - not, so much the walking but carrying everything = dropping everything as I am doing it. Making bazillions of trips. I understand the risk of preventing fire but if it's downstairs I would just get rid of it which may be the thing to do. I am cooking right now on the egg. Clean out the ash - into the kitchen to dump the ash, Load the egg with lump - in the kitchen to wash hands - get the food into the kitchen and to the egg and bring the plate back into the kitchen to be washed - back into the kitchen for tends to flip the meat - then egg a serving dish from the kitchen to the egg and get the cooked food back to the kitchen. Back out to the egg to shut it down - now worry that it shut down and nothing sparked outside the egg. If the egg were downstairs this becomes a pita. Especially when coking a large amount of food or more complex cooks where different things are going on different times. Would become not worth the effort to use that is all. When I did have it down there it was more of a chore than pleasure mad the gasser was easier to use on the deck to cook a hamburger or chicken breast. now with the egg we cook more elaborate meals.

Just thinking about it.

Large Big Green Egg, Griffin Georgia 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Common sense has too rule... Well, almost.

My large egg is on a wooden deck off the back of my house. I have a flame resistant mat under it as it sits in the nest. The deck is about 12' in the air and attached to my house.

I have fire extinguishers by the egg and inside.

That said.... If I worried about evey possible risk that could harm or kill me, I'd never be able to get the f outta bed.

Make it as safe as you can stand, egg on and enjoy!
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I basically run it wide open until I get the temp living then shut it down to about my correct temp settings. Frequently sparks fly at the lighting stage.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• robnybbq
    Options
    I don't care how long it had been. I would never dump the ash in the house trash. Bad move.
    Just thinking hypothetically. What's the difference between being on the wooden deck and an ember flys out vs. the ember flying out hitting the deck or the side of the house if it's on the lawn. Down in the yard it would be next to the wooden deck or next to the house. A ember could fly out the top and catch the deck on fire. Unless you are talking putting the egg by itself in the middle of the yard by itself on the grass. If that's the case then forget it. I live in a rural development surrounded by other houses and yards. As for walking up and down the stairs - not, so much the walking but carrying everything = dropping everything as I am doing it. Making bazillions of trips. I understand the risk of preventing fire but if it's downstairs I would just get rid of it which may be the thing to do. I am cooking right now on the egg. Clean out the ash - into the kitchen to dump the ash, Load the egg with lump - in the kitchen to wash hands - get the food into the kitchen and to the egg and bring the plate back into the kitchen to be washed - back into the kitchen for tends to flip the meat - then egg a serving dish from the kitchen to the egg and get the cooked food back to the kitchen. Back out to the egg to shut it down - now worry that it shut down and nothing sparked outside the egg. If the egg were downstairs this becomes a pita. Especially when coking a large amount of food or more complex cooks where different things are going on different times. Would become not worth the effort to use that is all. When I did have it down there it was more of a chore than pleasure mad the gasser was easier to use on the deck to cook a hamburger or chicken breast. now with the egg we cook more elaborate meals. Just thinking about it.

I agree about dumping it In the indoor house trash. I do not dump it in the house trash but I had to get a trash bag to put it in to carry to the outside trash.

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

I basically run it wide open until I get the temp living then shut it down to about my correct temp settings. Frequently sparks fly at the lighting stage.

Catching it on the way up might help with sparks
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    hapster said:
    Catching it on the way up might help with sparks

Yeah sorry I was at work typing and wasn't clear. I am catching it on the way up. Occasional sparks with the vent and lid open until then.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE