Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixed reviews on the small

As soon as I heard about the minimax back in March I was geared up to purchase as soon as they are available, which is unclear at best. Latest I have heard is most likely early 2015.... recently visited a dealer near me, he has an older small that he wants to move so he can replace and display with a newer one. Says he will sell to me for $500. I have tried to search as many threads as possible and it seems there are mixed reviews on people's thoughts on the small- they either absolutely love or are frustrated with inability to reach higher temps. If I'm gonna spend $500 I definitely want to be able to go low n slow, 650-750 & everything in between. I wanna take another shot at getting people's thoughts. Should I go ahead and purchase the small or keep my patience in check and wait on the minimax? I could definitely use a compliment to my large. Thanks everyone!
Mechanicsburg, PA

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    How many times do you need to be at 700*? Personally I've prolly only be 600 a few times. 2015 for the minimax. Say it ain't so
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014

I'm with grege345.  What are people needing 700 dome for???

Offer 400 cash $$$.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If 2015 is accurate I'd buy a small tomorrow
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Small, xl and large and my small sees most of the action. Wouldn't trade for the max, grate seems too close to the coals for me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    I'm in the "love my small" camp. The thing that I keep asking is what makes everyone believe the prototype M/M is going to be a fire breathing monster! Look at tiny fire box and short height of it. The reference of size to that 6" long pen laying there means that puppy isn't going to be holding much lump. Also the vent seems to be the same size as the existing small.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    edited May 2014
    $500 is too much for a small that was a floor model if that's all you get. You can do better than that at an eggfest. As far as the performance of the small, I've always had problems getting it up to temperature. There are some that don't and I've never been able to get a handle on exactly why that is. In my opinion, the draft door on the small is too small, i.e., it's the same draft door that's on the mini. The new mini-max has the same draft door so It's going to be interesting to hear what the results are performance-wise. 
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Im with the above... offer $400 cash and nothing more. another guy on here just got a small + nest for $400 out the door. I know it all depends on your location but $500 is still way high... if he wont budge then wait. You will do 1 of 2 things, either gain a knowledge or minimax delivery and possibly driving the price down on the small with mini max coming or 2 you can look for an eggfest to get one. where are you from btw?
    Beaufort, SC
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    No problems with my small at all. Go for it!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    never mind i see... you are close to a few egg fests coming up soon sir.. start looking at that option. I had a local dealer work a deal to try to match the eggfest price. might be worth a try for you. 

this is the egg fests.. I lived in lancaster for a couple years and worked at DLA by you. 

Beaufort, SC
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    egret said:
    $500 is too much for a small that was a floor model if that's all you get. You can do better than that at an eggfest. As far as the performance of the small, I've always had problems getting it up to temperature. There are some that don't and I've never been able to get a handle on exactly why that is. In my opinion, the draft door on the small is too small, i.e., it's the same draft door that's on the mini. The new mini-max has the same draft door so It's going to be interesting to hear what the results are performance-wise. 
    And then I get mine rocket hot with no problem and probably the same door as yours.  It's a mystery!

As for the OP, ask the guy if you can return it if it won't get as hot as you want it to.  Worth a try.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    @grege345‌ you make a good point and I probably would rarely if at all take it to 700, probably more like 600 for small pizza or calzone. I guess I just want to know I could for the $$. Thanks for the info on the price, I will look into the eggfests.
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I love my small. Only bad thing is it is a pain to clean. Trying to use the ash tool is a joke. Otherwise it's great and very versatile.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • RRP
    Hi54putty said:
    I love my small. Only bad thing is it is a pain to clean. Trying to use the ash tool is a joke. Otherwise it's great and very versatile.

I agree - are you handy? I made my small clean out tool with some scrap brass and a strap of steel. PopRiveted the 1" x 2" brass to the steel with a 90 degree bend at the end and that little tool rocks! In fact it even reaches half way around the back between the outer shell and the fire box since it is that nibble.
  • Eggfest pricing doesn't necessarily impact the small. They may not be utilized as demo eggs. At Salado they offered 10% discount on the small as special festival pricing because they were not being demo'd. That put it around $500 + tax with no extras. I think that Texas Eggfest was similar.
    Gittin' there...
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I have a small and use it a lot,I can get it up to hi temps.but it is slower to get there than any of the other sizes.I don't understand why like said in previous post the mini has the same size draft door at bottom and it will get to 700 in no time.So will the other sizes. when I say slower I mean slow.
  • If you get the hique grate for the small you will have no problem getting it hot.

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If it is $500 for egg only than I would wait. I bought my small, nest & mates for $499. I think you will find better. As for the higher temps I am in the no problem camp, 700 is no problem.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    If you get the hique grate for the small you will have no problem getting it hot.

LOL - so say some people and others say even that doesn't work! Solution for me was I just went to a plumbing supply store (big box stores nor ACE don't carry these) and bought a cast iron floor drain grate. That sucker is at least 10 years old and can get my small rip roaring hot!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2014
    Mine was slow til got hique. Sucker starts to roaring now.

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP‌ are you talking like a commercial floor drain like I see in my comm restaurants? If so...that thing ain't gonna go anywhere for a long time. And +1 would allow for crazy good airflow.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I don't get the hype about the MiniMax. Yes maybe a little more portable than the small but have you seen the fire box and fire ring? No thanks. Sits way too close to the grate. Wouldn't trade my small for two MiniMaxes.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Amen brother

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    edited May 2014
    @RRP‌ are you talking like a commercial floor drain like I see in my comm restaurants? If so...that thing ain't gonna go anywhere for a long time. And +1 would allow for crazy good airflow.

Yes...years ago many of us switched to a Lodge brand cast iron trivet which would last about 6 months at heat above 400. Soon we switched to quality cast iron drains. Eventually BGE listened and went CI also! Once again back then somebody was listening! Get that point?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I have a small with a highque grate. My small is still painfully slow to get to higher temps. My mini and XL will beat it in a race to 500° like the hare vs. a snail. My small is not quick enough to be a turtle. I enjoy cooking with it though.
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I feel I am one of the lucky ones that has an egg that will go up to 600, and I don't feel that it is slow to heat up. I love my small. I do hear what @RRP is saying about the MM firebox. Not sure that would hold a lot of lump.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm like my small, gets most of the weeknight action here. I got a new fire grate from @stlcharcoal and not sure it made a huge difference, but less chance of ash cloggage. For those that have trouble cleaning the small or getting up to high temps, there is a solution that will take care of both issues.

I keep mine in my deck box, if I'm in a hurry with either of my eggs, hose connected to the exhaust outlet directed toward the bottom vent takes care of it quickly. I don't have an ash tool for my small, simply suck ash out the bottom door. When it gets to the point it needs more cleanup, it's easy to pull the firering and firebox to clean throughly if needed.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    My local dealer heard of a Fall 2014 delivery for the M/M.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    @DMW that is a great idea.  I never thought of switching from suck to blow!  

Is this your shop vac? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    DMW said:
    I'm like my small, gets most of the weeknight action here. I got a new fire grate from @stlcharcoal and not sure it made a huge difference, but less chance of ash cloggage.  more cleanup, it's easy to pull the firering and firebox to clean throughly if needed.
    Almost out of those, and when they're gone, they're gone.  I have about 7 Mediums left, and a dozen Smalls.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have the same shop vac as @DMW works great for both my Large and Small, I have had no problems with the small I love having it as a compliment to the large.

Johns Creek, Georgia