Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying a new way for chicken legs

Options
SWMBO really does not like directly cooked chicken as it gets too smoky with the fat drippings in the coals, so I have settled on a raised direct approach,yaw here between 350-425. Tonight, I'm trying a sear over flames for a few minutes followed by indirect at 300 until done. Half with crazy salt for the kids, and half with homemade chicken rub. Pic shows legs about to start the indirect part of cook.
Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Love me some chicken legs. They look good!!! Last ones I did I soaked in buttermilk for 12 hours. Delicious!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    My favorite way to make chicken legs is on a rack that holds them vertical. You can then cook them direct or indirect whichever you like and the fat drips off. I usually put a little BBQ sauce on them 10 minutes before they are done.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Well, the chicken turned out great, though the skin isn't what I consider perfect yet. On the other hand, we were so hungry that I forgot to take after pics. So, it didn't happen.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Wings look good. How was the smokey flavor for your wife?? If it was still smokey you may try doin it in reverse order. My thoughts are you would cook mostly indirect to keep the burnt drippings to a minimum while cooking the fat and drying the skin and then direct to crisp up. Or you could try 425 raised all the way thru. I can't tell a difference in taste either way.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I do legs in a rack over indirect heat (350-400). I season them with TC, pepper and kosher salt. They don't have grill marks but the skin is crispy all the time.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    That's our usual method.  I sear them for a bit and then cook them indirect.  Going raised direct for any chicken cook is always good.  It sounds like you nailed it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    May I make a suggestion. Go back to raised "direct". Your smoke is not coming from the little fat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.