Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I FTC a pork butt?

Options
DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
I did an 8lb pork butt overnight.  Put it on at 9:30pm, 260 grate and it was 200 degrees at 7:45am.  I plan on serving it at 2pm.  Currently resting FTC, but wondering how long that I can safely keep it in the cooler?  Is 6 hours to long?  If so, what should I do?

Thank you!
Chester, MD

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2014
    Options
    6 hours is getting pretty close to the limit but can be doable. It all depends on how well insulated your cooler is. Did you pre-warm the cooler and towels?

Did you happen to leave your temp probe in the meat so that you can monitor the temp?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    6 hours is as long as I have gone.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DIAD
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth -No, I didn't do any of that.  I pulled the probe and just used towels out of the closet and a cooler out of the garage.  It is a tiny cooler that couldn't fit anything else in it if that matters.  I suppose that I could pull it around noon and put it in a crock pot on low.

Has anyone tried this?  Don't want it to dry out though.
    Chester, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I've never done it myself but have seen (here on the forum) where others have done that or something similar (e.g., oven).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm late but I would let it coast to 205-210 to buy more time before FTC.
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'm late but I would let it coast to 205-210 to buy more time before FTC.
    I think you're even later than you think Gary. If I understood the OP it is already in FTC mode.
    Options
    I just pulled it. Sitting in a warm oven. I turn the oven on for 10 min then off for a while. Just trying to keep it warm and moist.
    Chester, MD
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What's the lowest temp of your oven?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm in EXACTLY the same situation.   Took the butt from the Egg at 205 degrees and FTC'd it at 11:30 A.M.   Won't be serving it until 5 so it will be in the cooler about 5 hours.   Should I throw it into a 170 degree oven at some point or just leave it FTC till I pull it?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • DIAD
    Options
    @grege345 my oven has a wm feature.  Not sure what the temp is but I know it's for warming

@canugghead That's a really good idea.  At least it's new to me.  If I just shut the vents and leave the butt on the egg until between 205 and 210 that could have bought me more time.  I wonder how much time that would have saved me. 

@farbuck I think that we should have done what canugghead suggested.  At least I learned something today. 

Thanks everyone!  Enjoy Sunday, Funday!!
    Chester, MD