Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Help?

Options
gpsegg
gpsegg Posts: 427
Did an 8lb. bone in prime rib tonight . Planned on 250 degrees dome temp for about 2.5 - 3 hours until internal of 120 degrees. Hoped to serve about 6:45 so put it on about 3:30. Internal temp when I put it on was 37 degrees in the center . After about an hour, the IT was about 47 degrees. Clear it would not get there in time , pushed egg up to 350 degrees . It was done at 6:30 and served on time. It was fantastic! My confusion lies in what appears to be inconsistent advise I have read from many posts. Many say at 250 degrees it is about 2.5-3 hours regardless of weight once the length exceeds the thickness (regardless of the # of ribs). Others say to figure 25 minutes per pound at 250 degrees. Obviously I followed the former and it would have been nowhere near done in time. Again, it turned out great but could sure use your input on this as I prefer going low and slow on the cook. Next time will probably figure 25 mins/pound. Am I missing something obvious ( I know it went on very cold but it was out of the refrigerator for over an hour before it went on. Should it be kept out longer?). Thanks for your help!
George
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    gpsegg Rib roasts are one of my favorites and I think they're very forgiving to cook. I don't have a formula that I use I just keep an eye on it and adjust as necessary. I prefer to cook them at around 275 to 300,  Two major factors I can see in your cook is that was a pretty big hunk of meat and it was only 5 degrees above freezing when you put it on. A good rule IMHO is your better off to start warmer then back off on the temp as opposed start low and heat it up at the end. I like to pull it around 135. Like I said just my opinion.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Here's a great read on prime rib cooks-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    To clarify the 25 to 30 minutes per pound applies. A larger roast will take a little longer than a smaller one, simply because of the greater cold mass you are putting in the cooker. It's hard to be certain where the length vs diameter really is because you aren't cutting it and weighing the pieces. I would check my dome thermo. The fat content of the meat will be a variable too since you aren't actually melting the internal fat and fat cooks slower than muscle. So would the temp of the roast when you put it on. I leave mine out about three hours before cooking. Hard to say what would have happened if you had let it cruise at 250* as the meat heats from the outside in.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Thanks for the help .Appreciate all your thoughts.  Thats whats great about this forum. Obviously, as with other cooks, there are several ways to get to the finish line depeding on personal preferences. For me , next time, will take it out sooner and figure 25 to 30 minutes per pound.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Coach292
    Coach292 Posts: 39
    Options
    You might want to take it out of the fridge for about an hour or so so it doesn't go on the grill so cold internally. I leave the bones on for protection of the meat and the ribs are pretty tasty too as an appetizer. Here's one I did earlier this year with mickeys coffee rub.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    It's not going to warm up internally at all on the kitchen counter, not in an hour. Other than leaving it out for a few hours, better to start slow and just roast at 225-250 until 5-7 degrees below your desired temperature.

If you dried it overnight, it should have a fine crust where the trimmed fat is (trim to 1/8" to 1/4" thick).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY