Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super frusturated about lack of smoke ring

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Kruegs said:
    DMW said:
    Also, as an FYI, smoke ring cannot be taken into consideration during KCBS sanctioned judging.

It could be taken into account for an appearance score, but shouldn't.  Judging tends to be pretty subjective.

Good point, it shouldn't be taken into consideration (instruction not to is given during judging class), but there is no way to stop someone considering that for the appearance score.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Seneca The Younger Knows Everything
    You're scaring me

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This one was smoked low & slow 225℉-275℉ (this was one of the 2 flats I did that day and both looked almost identical). Sometimes I'll get a real nice smoke ring and other times not as much. Either way it's no biggie because the flavor is unaffected. I've NEVER used pink salt or celery salt to get a fake smoke ring. There are so many variables when discussing smoke rings I wouldn't concern myself to much about it. Egg on man!image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hugewineo
    hugewineo Posts: 49
    Options

Update:  Did brisket today.  Added extra Sea Salt, spritzed with Apple cider vinegar and apple juice every 30 min and still no smoke ring.  unbelievable that I can't make one anymore.  Temp was weird though at the beginning.  I went from refrigerator temp to 140 in about an hour with the BGE at about 250.  I'm not sure how I shot up so quick.  Maybe that had something to do with it.  Really getting frustrated with this.  I'm pretty sure other than cheating ive done every smoke ring trick in the book at this point...

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @hugewineo‌ did you read the link regarding smoke rings that @cazzy‌ provided? If you were getting them before and not now did your rub ingredients change, lump, wood etc.?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I 2nd the idea of adding a couple of briquettes ... (NOT the matchlite kind!).  The binder that holds the briq in shape produces the chemical that creates the smoke ring.  It IS harder to get a smoke ring on an Egg because of the minimal airflow (smoke) compared to an offset cooker.  Water pan seems to help too. 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The binder in brickettes doesn't have anythingto do with the smoke ring. It's usually inert clay, limestone, etc. I think the 'organic' manufactured brickettes use cornstarch.

But in addition to the nitrate formation in the brickette's smoke already, as a byproduct of burning (it is made from wood charcoal after all), some manufacturers add nitrate itself as an accelerant. That's where the extra boost of nitrate comes from.

Not all manufacturers do this, so it doesn't work as a rule for all brickettes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY