Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which egg for camping

DaveM
DaveM Posts: 100
What is the minimum egg size that could cook 2 pork butts?  The mini is only 9" diameter, wondering if the small would work.

Thoughts?

--Dave
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    I take my small on the road in our Motor Home, I think you could do 2 butts but it would be tight for sure. If they were small or one large I think it would work. I have taken a medium and done 2 easily, but the medium won't fit in the MH and is just to heavy. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Wait and get mini max same grill space as small but more compact in height.
  • Basherer
    Basherer Posts: 2
    I have a mini and i have done several pork butts.  The max size is around 6 lbs and the thermometer usually poked into the butt.  They were rather tasty.  

I would agree with tcampbell.  The mini max looks fantastics for camping/travel.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Plenty of us travel with a a small. Two butts isn't going to work in my opinion.

XLBGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    tcampbell said:
    Wait and get mini max same grill space as small but more compact in height.
    compact height is an understatement! Not sure how much lump this will hold allowing for a low and slow cook considering the relative size to that ball point pen. Picture courtesy of the MaskedMarvel.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Basherer said:
    I have a mini and i have done several pork butts.  The max size is around 6 lbs and the thermometer usually poked into the butt.  
    Here's a little trick - remove that spring clip inside so that you won't impale the meat and or bend the probe. Pull the thermometer out, close the dome - re-insert the thermometer. That way it stays out of harms way! BTW pitch the clip then as gravity will hold it in place.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    A medium will for sure hold 2 pork butts.
  • DaveM
    Thanks for the comments.  I think the mini-max looks ideal.  I may not get 2 butts into it, but I'll have to settle for 1 big one.  The form factor is perfect for camping.  

For those of you with a Small, will a 8+ picnic butt fit OK?  I prefer big ones with the bone in.

Thanks!

-D
  • I can fit a big one in mine if I pull the thermometer out. They always cook beautifuy, too. I like to think it has to do with the entire egg being so full. I can fill mine with lump and light it and put on a butt before I head out tomy stand and its pulled pork for everybody for supper.

Little Rock, AR

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I cooked a 9.63 lb picnic on my Small recently. It fit fine. I wonder what the lump capacity or max burn time on the Mini-Max will be.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Here is a pork butt I did on my small while camping, I don't remember the exact size but it ended up feeding plenty. 

You can fit lots more on a small than you think. If you look at some of @R2Egg2Q older posts and some of mine its pretty amazing how much you can stuff in them. Lots of people do great things with  the mini egg too, but I think it is a tad too small to cook for a crowd, at least for me.

I can did up more pictures if you need more examples for the small egg. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • DaveM
    awesome; that looks great.  I'll definitely wait for the minimax.  Even if I run out of fuel and need to reload, I like the size.

Thanks!

D
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have done 2 small butts at the same time in my small but they were kinda leaning on each other and standing up. They turned out great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Here's a picture of that picnic I mentioned (a couple of hours into the cook): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA