Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt miscue?

So after much reading I went with a 7# butt started at 11PM last nigh. Egg stable at 275. I was thinking it would take a good 12 hours but at 5:00 am I was already at 190 IT. I reluctantly got up and FTC for 3 hours. Looks and tastes great but not sure why it cooked so fast? Egg stayed around 250 all night or even less and I checked on it a few times.

Any thoughts from the experts ?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    Before the term turbo became attached to the method of cooking at high temperatures we used to refer to a butt that cooked that fast as a turbo butt. It just happens and your next one may take longer than say the 12 hours you expected! Only thing I might add are you sure your dome thermometer isn't out of calibration?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Either thermo as @RRP suggests or maybe this butt didn't stall.  I've had that happen before.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    They can vary so much on timing so you always have to be flexible. That being said, you can easily take a butt to 200-205 with no issue. I find them easier to pull when they cook to those temps.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    They can vary so much on timing so you always have to be flexible. That being said, you can easily take a butt to 200-205 with no issue. I find them easier to pull when they cook to those temps.

actually, I prefer them at 205 and that's the temp I target.
    Dave - Austin, TX