Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much wood do you use for your cooks?

Options
More lump or more wood? Anyone ever tried with using more wood chunks than lump? Or completely using wood only? Just thinking out loud what would happen if anyone tried.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I usually use as much wood as a woodchuck can chuck.
    Dunedin, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive gone close to 50/50 with a hot and fast brisket cook but thats the only cook i can see doing that with and i used logs, not chunks which would probably make it too smokey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    yzzi said:

Has it ever been confirmed that woodchucks can chuck wood?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @fishlessman wow 50/50. Thanks for the info. Are you saying it's too smokey to use chunks or logs? I thought logs will be more smokey.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited May 2014
    Options
    there would be more surface area burning on the chunks, when ive done the hot/fast brisket i just grabbed wood out of the firewood pile. this is the only way a would use that much wood in the egg, scroll down to the bottom for daves hot and fast method
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Wow amazing...the pictures look awesome. 

You went direct? Would it work to do high temp indirect? I have wood logs so I'm tempted to try doing it with wood logs but indirect. Also, why would this only work on brisket? Wouldn't you be able to do the same thing with ribs or other type of meats (maybe not chicken)?

Thanks.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    90% of the time, I use 100% lump. No real reason except the food's good either way so I just don't bother. I have oak and maple in my yard too, so I don't even have to buy it. I do throw some in once in a while - and ALWAYS with a butt (hickory, oak or both). When I do use it, maybe 3-4 chunks.

The question of burning wood instead of lump comes up from time to time. And always, the consensus is, it won't work in an egg. Too little air, all it will to is smolder. Which is why they call it "Smoke wood". :)

As for woodchucks, I have never seen one chucking so I have no opinion.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    decades ago, a friend had an old japanese clay pot.  We smoked some ribs and not knowing how much hickory to put one, we put on a bunch.  The ribs were extremely smoky tasting, as in we burped and farted hickory for 3 days after scarfing down the ribs.

It can be debated whether that was a good thing or not.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    At least, it's good since you scarfed it down...  =))

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    At least, it's good since you scarfed it down...  =))
    As i remember, they were tender and juicy and flavorful, just kinda heavy on the smoke flavor.
    Of course, my memory and taste buds may have been influenced by copious amounts of beer as that was back during my college years.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Most meat can only take in smoke 2-3 hours so I use 4-5 chunks as big as fist or so. I have a log if cherry and I just cut off pieces when I need it. The lump gives the food flavor just like what smoke with. That's why I prefer it over gas. You can try more wood but I like using only what is needed to get the flavor I want.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    A woodchuck will chuck all he could, that woodchuck would, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:

A woodchuck will chuck all he could, that woodchuck would, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
    yzzi said:

I'll bet a woodchuck could chuck more wood than you could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD