Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will dealers take smalls in trade for a Maxi-Mini?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I pondered this question deep in another thread last night. I still believe it deserves to see the light of day - what do you think will be the answer?

For years it has been the practice that dealers will take an older used egg back in trade for an upgrade. With so many small owners who don't like them (UNLIKE me and some others though), then I wonder if the line will "be out the door" with unhappy small owners when dealers get the new Maxi-Mini in stock. If nothing else I wonder what this will do to the used small price since I assume dealers don't want to eat all those smalls - though corporate won't either. Used smalls may become very cheap...just sayin...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    no dealer near me would take a tradein but we dont really have many good dealers up here anyways.  a bigger question would be is bge going to drop the small all together and if so, how would they handle warranty issues if they are not making parts, my small is in self destruct mode, base, firebox, ring have been replaced and i could bring the dome in this year for replacement
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Good point, Michael! It also begs the question with what limited pictures we have seen with what appears to be the same size bottom vent, same diameter base, but shorter then I wonder if field tests have proven the M/M is going to be a fire breather that people are just assuming. LOL maybe more hope and change, huh?
  • fishlessman
    im betting they replace the tall base with a short minimax base for replacement in the future and i dont think that would make everyone happy. and your right, they should have made the bottom vent bigger
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    edited May 2014
    Also the question you raised about the small applies to the existing mini as well. If it is also abandoned what about warranty replacements? I suppose they could apply sunset rules but to original owners who bought into "lifetime" then that won't set well either.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    BGE will have to continue producing replacement parts for the small if they do decide to phase them out. No way they switch out the base of the small and replace it with a Mini - Max base. That means they would have to replace the fire box and fire ring along with the base. BGE already is putting on plastic handles, eliminated BGE feet, and charging extra for the table nest. Just can't imagine they would switch out everything to replace the smalls base. They wouldn't take that kind of hit. Unless that's a new way they can make money. They will replace the base but you would have to buy the fire box and fire ring. That would piss me off.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I wonder about the size of the lower vent on the Mini-Max as well.  No reason to think it will cook any different than the small.  I'm not "unhappy" with my small, hell, I use it all the time.  I have just faced the fact that if I want temps over 450-500* I use one of the other eggs.  I can achieve those temps with the small, but I have to carefully stack the lump, turn the cooker into the wind and stand on one leg praying to the Egg Gods.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited May 2014
    There really isn't much left for interpretation on their warranty.  A lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty.  If you bought a Toyota Camry with a 3 year warranty, and they discontinued the car the day you drove out the lot, you bet they will have to honor that warranty.   Only way of voiding the BGE warranty as far as I know is due to misuse, and not being the original owner (or filing for bankruptcy I suppose?).  
    If they stop supporting the small and mini, they're looking at a class action lawsuit.  We will all be happy owners of new felt gaskets and ceramic feet, while the lawyers make off like bandits  ;)  ;)  ;)

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Anyone know when they are supposed to be getting the mini max to the dealers?
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    I suspect the dealers might not take the small on a trade in.  Just my guess, but I would think once the mini-max is available sales for the small and mini will decrease so they may have a hard time moving them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    I suspect the dealers might not take the small on a trade in.  Just my guess, but I would think once the mini-max is available sales for the small and mini will decrease so they may have a hard time moving them.  

I hear you - I still think it would be beneficial to BGE if some field testing has been done to see how hot that baby will crank up and for how long...after all it's still just a mini.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Anyone know when they are supposed to be getting the mini max to the dealers?
    I cant get  an answer from my dealer, have e-mailed BGE, but i do not expect any answers on this really. Unless someone else out here has heard something more final?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    odie91 said:
    There really isn't much left for interpretation on their warranty.  A lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty.  If you bought a Toyota Camry with a 3 year warranty, and they discontinued the car the day you drove out the lot, you bet they will have to honor that warranty.   Only way of voiding the BGE warranty as far as I know is due to misuse, and not being the original owner (or filing for bankruptcy I suppose?).  
    If they stop supporting the small and mini, they're looking at a class action lawsuit.  We will all be happy owners of new felt gaskets and ceramic feet, while the lawyers make off like bandits  ;)  ;)  ;)

Not necessarily the case- if the company goes bankrupt your warranty is worth as much as the company's stock
    Greensboro, NC
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I will gladly purchase one of those trade ins! I would love a small to take on my camping trips with the travel trailer!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RRP
    GeorgeS said:
    I will gladly purchase one of those trade ins! I would love a small to take on my camping trips with the travel trailer!!
    I agree - priced right they would make great eggs to give to youngsters,  grand kids, students off to college etc, but trade in value and re-sell price may become a sticky-wicket on just how many become available and will move out! 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    What don't people like a small? I was considering a small......
  • SenorHuevo
    SenorHuevo Posts: 40
    @Miked125 The beat on the street is that they do not get hot enough due to an inadequate air vent at the base.
    I will never cook inside again.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I also have a hard time getting the small up to temp.  I have heard many people say it gets to temp faster than other eggs, but I have a much easier time lighting my large.   I wouldn't say I don't like it by any means, but I think a larger intake/fire grate would improve it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    edited May 2014
    Miked125 said:

It boils down to the fact - not rumor - that some of us love them and can get them to go to nuke temperatures with ease and the others find the small slow to heat and temperatures stay low. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason why this happens. I love my small and use it over 60% of all my cooks!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    First I have heard of the maxi min. Where can I get more info on it?
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    edited May 2014
    this seems to be all the info there is on it

http://www.biggreenegg.com/blog/minimax/

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Link that fish just gave you and here is a picture snapped by MaskedMarvel while at the trade show where it was announced.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP‌... Ron I do believe if I was to buy a 2nd egg the MM would be it (aka dubbed "The Fire Breather" >:) ). I always thought a 2nd LG would be sorta cool but, for practicality purposes the MM would be quite suitable for my application. So, when do we expect them to hit the majority of dealers?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
     So, when do we expect them to hit the majority of dealers?
    rumor has it this summer, but then the XXL announced the same venue a year ago still isn't out except as gifts to some honored dealers - the way I hear it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    odie91 said:

Toyota (as well as the rest of new car mfg's) by law/rule have to provide parts for only 10 years after mfg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    @Miked125 The beat on the street is that they do not get hot enough due to an inadequate air vent at the base.
    I can get mine up to about 800.  I'd love for someone to ship me a small (tee hee) that won't get hot so I could play with it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    RRP said:
    Miked125 said:

It boils down to the fact - not rumor - that some of us love them and can get them to go to nuke temperatures with ease and the others find the small slow to heat and temperatures stay low. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason why this happens. I love my small and use it over 60% of all my cooks!
    Yep!  Remember Tim M?  He couldn't get his small over 500 as I recall and he is about as proficient an Egger as their comes.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Mine has no problem going up to 600 (last I tried it). But I had to replace the grate with Hi-Que grate.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• RRP
    Mine has no problem going up to 600 (last I tried it). But I had to replace the grate with Hi-Que grate.
    I've kissed 800 with my small. The only change I made was I switched to a cast iron floor drain cover instead of the original ceramic grate which obviously is the small one on the left.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I want a mini max. It would be perfect to compliment the XL. I asked my dealer about it. He had never heard of it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Mickey said:
    odie91 said:

Toyota (as well as the rest of new car mfg's) by law/rule have to provide parts for only 10 years after mfg.
    I'm not talking about parts.  I'm talking about warranty service.  They would still have to honor the 3 year warranty even if they stopped making the car.   Then again, I'm not really familiar with law at all, just kind of talking out of my arse..... lol....  ;)