Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome thermometer question

Options
Last night, I accidentally left the egg running at near-nuclear temps for about 30 minutes or so with the dome thermometer in.  I know when you're running it that high you're supposed to remove the thermometer.  Did I mess up the calibration?  How do you check?
Southern California

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

I put a pot of water on the stove and check the temp with thermopen and the dome thermometer across multple temps.  If it is consistently off you can adjust the dome thrmometer with the nut on the back.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    If you don't have a thermopen, just check it at boiling.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Get water boiling in a pan.  Insert your dome thermo and see what it reads.  Should be around 210*F (depending on elevation (212 at sea level)  but generally close enough).  Note off-set if not there.  There is a nut on the back of the thermo that you can turn to remove the noted off-set.  Then check in boiling water again. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    It would be a good idea to pull it out and check the calibration.  To calibrate, place in boiling water and adjust your thermo to 212 ferinheight.  When you put it back in, leave the clip off.  No need for it.  Plus you can turn it so that the needle points at 12 o'clock for whatever temp you are shooting for.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    >Pull thermometer
    >get a pot of water to a roaring boil
    >place 2 kabobs over pot to straddle thermometer and read temp
    >at sea level you should read 212℉ (or 100℃ like @DMW‌ has suggested in the past because it's easier to read on the Tel-Tru)
    >if it's out of calibration simply use a wrench on the adjustment nut located on the back of the thermostat (note: if it's to far out of calibration ---more than 100° it may be time to replace it---.
    FWIW Tel-Tru makes some of the best available. I have a room thermostat that dates back to the 50s and it's still dead accurate.
    Hope this helps you out.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Cool.  Will calibrate tonight.  Thanks for the help everyone!
    Southern California
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options

what @NPHuskerFL said. although I use a pair of tongs.  Stem should not touch the bottom of the pot during calibration test

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Do yourself a favor... DO NOT USE a good pot for boiling the water!! Or if you do, DO NOT FORGET to remove the pot and turn off the burner when done. No idea why I grabbed an expensive copper pan for calibrating. I'm lucky the stainless interior didn't delaminate!

Multiple grits of sandpaper (100 up to 2000) and an hour or more of wet sanding finally got this copper back to a  presentable appearance. The bottom was the worst, but the sides didn't look so good either and also needed work. Never again!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Here's a simpler test to decide if you even need to check the calibration...where is the needle now resting that your egg is cold? Same reference to what you have gotten accustomed to seeing with a cold egg or does it show some temperature? Most all cold ones are wrapped counterclockwise to below zero, but if the "spring" in your thermometer got wasted last night due to high heat then the cold needle will be pointing somewhere above zero. If it is severely damaged then there is a good chance re-calibration won't fix it anyway. BTW I have had mine near 1,100 and it was not damaged, but then that is a Tel-Tru rated up to 1,000 not the lower ones like BGE now uses.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.