Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SS Restaurant Grave Yard Resurrection (caution could end up pic heavy)

Options
I made the decision to use a old Pizza Hut SS Prep table to convert to an egg table. This has been sitting at my shop for a few years. My boss has decided he'll part with this one. :-) I just got done fork lifting it into my truck. Went and purchased some HD casters all swivel base with brakes (existing casters are welded on and are shot so they'll be replaced). Going to pick up LBGE table nest tomorrow. Dropped table off along with casters and some other custom add-ons to the fabrication shop that I've chose to use. He has a CNC style automated plasma cutting system for precision cuts. He has a lot of other custom hot rods in the works so it might be a 2-4 wks for table completion but, he is one of the best fabrication shops in the area (one man show) and I'll happily wait. I will update with pics in stages if at all possible. imageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Hey just so you know there is some graffiti on the back window of your truck.   :))

Looks like a sweet project will be looking for its completion.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @U_tarded‌..
    Graffiti :-P. Nope that's Lincoln, NE Memorial Stadium "The Sea of Red"! GBR! SWMBO had that custom made for Da Beast. I'm super stoked for this table. It's gonna be fing Epic!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Hey just so you know there is some graffiti on the back window of your truck.   :))

Looks like a sweet project will be looking for its completion.

I also see the graffiti. Table should be great though, I like the cleanliness of SS.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    @U_tarded‌.. Graffiti :-P. Nope that's Lincoln, NE Memorial Stadium "The Sea of Red"! GBR! SWMBO had that custom made for Da Beast. I'm super stoked for this table. It's gonna be fing Epic!
    I grew up in CO and the big Husker/Buff rivalry was one of my favorites especially in the early 90s.  Have to get my blows in whenever I can.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That definitely has some potential.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That will make a great table.  Quick question...do you need a table nest for that?  Since it is metal I would think you could just set it directly on the shelf.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice score on the table. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌...Agree. However, I want minimal heat transfer from egg to table. I'm sure that laying the base directly onto the shelf would be fine but,this is something I wanted to minimize heat transfer egg to table. Is it overkill? (of course it is). And depending on how much height the table nest adds will ultimately make my decision at that point.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ you going to drop the egg down real low (recessed)? Felt line to base of egg is 18". So with that said if your bottom shelf was 18" lower than your top and you add in table nest your felt line would be about 2" above top surface. How wide is the top of that table?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @grege345‌...shelf to table top is roughly 19.5" and the width is 30". Then if you can see it there is a wrap around the edges. So, to avoid hinge and/or dome contact to that the hole will be forward a bit vs dead center. Do you think the hole will need to have hinge cut out on table? (I'll be measuring down to gnats ass today because the fabricator wants precise hole and offset etc). The hole will be located on the right hand side because I will be incorporating the catch pan into the table. My LG is excited for its new home.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    Options
    Ya that's bad ass. Gonna look good. Don't forget the bottle opener :)

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @grege345‌... Dude I'm all over it! B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    What kind of gap is advised on SS table around egg 1/8", 1/2", 1"? @Little Steven‌ I saw your table what kind of gap did you leave on SS?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not much. I didn't want to make it too much higher than the nests (for obvious reasons). The eggs sit on shelves that are adjustable. I think I cut the holes at 20.5" and the granite was cut at that as well. I lowered the eggs in and shimmed up to a point that I liked. I think it was a patio stone and the green feet exactly. I need to get someone to caulk the gap. I am just so useless at that. I need the interior dry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    See if your plasma guy can put a notch in back for the hinge to drop down into. If just a circle, you will have to keep the egg up higher for hinge to clear table top. You could put something like this stainless platform under the egg.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Very nice looking table! That's gonna be awesome when you get it done!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • grege345
    Options
    +1 @Tspud1‌ diameter at felt line is 21.5" I think. So if your not gonna recess it you can get away with a smaller hole. 1/8 clearance all the way around should be plenty for expansion and contraction one would think. I've also been a measuring machine trying to figure out an outdoor kitchen design. I have it all figured out but I have to make room for an additional egg and that's where my problem is. Side note. From what I've seen peple who recess make their notch cut out 4"x9" for hinge.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Dude this is going to be sweet. Lots of potential there.

XLBGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Sneak peak...sort of. Here are the new casters and a Nostalgic plate from oh so long ago. Measured, remeasured, remeasured with dome opened etc. Only get one chance on the hole diameter and offset to clear the 5" tall lip.
    Thanks for the help Steven!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Love the "graffiti" on the back of the truck.  Red casters are cool, and the '80s plate are a nice touch.  Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @tkleager‌...you and me both! All I can say is measuring for this had to be beyond precise (0% room for error). I'm stoked!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    Verry coo table!!!!!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Tspud1‌...I can't have lower than 4.5" without having to modify the 5" tall surround lip (not gonna do that). I went ahead and bought the table nest and gave it to Todd (the fabrication guy) and he'll build something to achieve the remaining lift needed. Just bought some additional SS hardware and dropped it off to him for another add-on idea I had. Then just about to order what every table "MUST" have... And will be ordering my Black Box WiFi Stoker later on this week. So, rather than using an extension cord I'm going to install a Jcord whip with surge protector (gotta decide how I'm gonna do it yet). The table is 60"L 30"W 36"H (w/ new casters probably closer to 38"H and I'm going to have to likely get a cover made. Not a huge rush on the cover because I can put it on the lanai (screened in deck) when it's not in use.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ this is food info. Are you saying you couldn't recess it because the dome would hit the backsplash so your leavin the egg 4.5 " above ss surface?

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @grege345‌...what do you mean? This is food info? Or did you mean good info? ;-)
    Yes on the question though. This was the only feasible way to do it without mods to the backsplash. And personally I think hacking that up would make it look trashy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    Options
    I agree. I wouldn't mess with that back splash either. So your felt line is going to be 42" or there about? That's where it is on my current set up. I'm 5'11" and the felt line is at my navel.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I agree. I wouldn't mess with that back splash either. So your felt line is going to be 42" or there about? That's where it is on my current set up. I'm 5'11" and the felt line is at my navel.
    I hate you man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grege345
    Options
    Being shorter has its advantages I'm sure @Little Steven I just can't remember back that far when I was your height.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    This table is 28"  front to back. You might be able to put notch in top and still clear the back splash/trim.  Will your lid hit the 5" trim when you open it?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @grege345‌... Yep. 5'10.5" here also so the height feels comfortable. For the height challenged perhaps a matching SS step stool =)) Sorry couldn't help myself Little Steven ;-)image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014