Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Best Meat To Travel With

So, we are doing Easter a week late and I am doing the meat- I have to travel about 45 minutes, hopefully will eat about an hour after I arrive- I want to do a Standing Rib Roast but don't want it over cooked by the time we eat, I think Brisket does better in the cooler for hours--------Just looking for some ideas and input

Thanks In Advance- You all are great
Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Brisket would be fine FTC. Let it rest while in travel and slice once you arrive at your destination.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

I would tend to agree. I'd be very hesitant to spend the bucks on a beautiful SRR only to have it over cooked when you arrive. UNLESS, you want to do some high-end roast beef sandwiches on nice Ciabatta with home made horseradish...(just sayin') Cook to 120, pack and go. It will cool enough to slice thinly. Random idea.

You will have a lot of wiggle room with Brisket or Pork Shoulder. Now, I did 2 Egg'd ducks once and used my in-laws' oven to crisp up the skin. Was a hit.

Hope this gets the creative juices flowing...

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Maybe cook to 115* and throw it in an oven at as high as it will go for a couple of minutes when you get there...or (God forbid) a hot gasser

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Brisket or either type of ribs would have no problem being FTC'd and going for the ride. 

Or you could do a rack of pork and just cook it the day before and reheat for dinner.  I did that recently, and it was fine.
  • A standing rib roast can rest a half hour to forty five minutes before serving. No need to cooler it.

It would mean pulling in the driveway and sitting down to eat, which is odd.

I'd do what little stephen suggested. Low fire until it is 115. Then perhaps a hot dry oven when you get there.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Thank You All, I appreciate it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian