Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET: Whole or Flat?

Options
I personally prefer the whole brisket. Not because i dislike Flats, just that I freakin' love burnt ends! How do you prefer yours??

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Hole is better than phlat

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    whole. I have tried to cook a flat only before and it was kinda dry. Seems like the flat comes out better when it's cooked as a whole packer vs just the flat. Also I love the point meat. I am a newb at brisket though, I'm sure other more experienced cooks will chime in.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    whatever you can get your hands on... 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Around me the brisket I have access to is 5-8 bucks a pound for flats and packers are 2-3 dollars a pound so really the packer is the only way to go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 @Scottborasjr‌ statement. If possible snag a whole packer. # for # is a better buy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Around me the brisket I have access to is 5-8 bucks a pound for flats and packers are 2-3 dollars a pound so really the packer is the only way to go.
    How odd...
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Same pricing gig in this area if you can find packers at other than a boutique shop.  And WRT the initial ?-I much prefer packers just to consume the point.  No burnt ends here.  However, around 90+% of the time all I can get are flats so that becomes the BGE challenge.  It's all about the journey for me.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.