Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopen being buggy

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I've been having some trouble with my thermopen and am considering sending it in for service.  When I open it up for use, the display activates as it should.  The problem is, once open, any minor movement of the probe hinge (i.e. just sticking it into a steak) may either turn it off or it may rapidly turn off and back on.  I thought maybe it was a battery issue, so I replaced the batteries, but that didn't fix it.  Then I realized the replacement batteries were some low price mail order ones that were short dated, so I bought some fresh ones at a local store and put those in.  It doesn't seem to have made a difference.  I think there may be a wiring/connection issue in the hinge.

I actually got an RMA several months ago, but I so hate the idea of being without it, I've just been putting up with its quirks.  I'm about out of patience with it though...and actually just bought a cheap Taylor instant read that seems to work reasonably well...so now I think it's time for the thermopen to take a trip back to the mothership.  

Has anyone else had one that acted like this?