Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza confusion today

Options
I have cooked pizza's on my LBGE for the last year and a half and have always had a great outcome. Today was the first time I had any trouble with the bottom of the crust starting to burn before my toppings were completely cooked? Everything I did was as I always have: PS legs down, pizza stone on top, temp between 550-650. The only difference was 2 things: I used dough I bought at a local pizza shop versus dough I usually make myself ; and I used royal oak lump for the first time (previously used BGE or weekend warrior brand). Could either of these 2 differences cause this problem? Has anyone else experienced this?
Mechanicsburg, PA

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Could be the sugar content in the dough from the shop is higher than what you usually make. Also, have you calibrated your thermometer lately?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    I was also thinking the pizza shop might be adding sugar or oil to their dough. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    didn't think of sugar content since I also add sugar to my dough. I saw some posts in another thread that suggest sitting higher in dome with bricks, think I will try this. Also, will calibrate my thermometer since I haven't done since purchasing. Thanks for the responses!
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 sugar content in the store brought dough.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Just my experience, but never seen a store bought dough that liked being hotter than 500ºF - the upper limit on most ovens. Pizza ovens hit the pie from the bottom and the top much better than an egg, could be the dough was meant for a shorter cook, the pizza oven being hotter than the dome. If you wait until your toppings are done, the crust might be toast - literally. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Options
    +1 on sugar content

Lump shouldn't be a factor if temp was the same you always use.

Also, I suggest a different setup: Plate Setter feet UP, grate, and pizza stone on top of it, else the stone's temp could spike from direct fire hitting Plate Setter transferring to it.

Cheers!
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I'd ask your pizza place what temp they suggest.  Hopefully they will divulge their secret temperature and ingredients:)  I would lean more towards dough content as well. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    The variable was the dough! and higher in the dome will always help no matter what dough you use. I use the Pillsbury pizza dough and until I started to cook them higher in the dome the bottom would burn before the top was done and the directions say to bake at 425. I'm lazy so dough from the tube is good for me and I also like the texture and taste of the dough. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!