Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket is done, now what?

Options
So I started cooking at at 1PM yesterday at 238 grid temp (I decided to split the difference between the 225 and 250 crowd).  I pulled it at 2:45 AM this morning, FTC'd it in my new Coleman Xtreme cooler.  Just partially unwrapped it to check the temp at 8AM and it is at 150.  We plan to have this for lunch.  What's the lowest safe temp that I can keep this for 3 1/2 hours?  I think I remember something about 140 but not sure why that is?  Do I need to put it in the frig and reheat it?  If so, what's the best way to reheat it?

13# trimmed and brushed with EVOO, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye.

XL Owner

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If no one responds soon I will offer my thoughts if you are interested.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm interested.
    XL Owner
  • SGH
    edited April 2014
    Options
    In my opinion if you know that you can't hold it long enuff in the cooler is to hold it in a oven at about 150. I like to add just a touch off beef broth to the wrap when holding for long periods . I have held over 10 hours with good results using this method. As always I hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I can offer more alternatives if using the oven is not feasible.

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Here's a little info on the 140* temp. I'd go with the advice given by @SGH.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That'll work.  Thanks.
    XL Owner
  • SGH
    Options
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ElCapitan‌
    One last note. Only use about a quarter cup of broth in the wrap. Check it hourly and add more if needed. You want just snuff to help maintain moisture in the wrap.

Status- Standing by.

• ElCapitan
    Options
    So what is the issue with going below 140?
    XL Owner
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    ElCapitan said:
    So what is the issue with going below 140?
    Look at the link I posted above.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Myself I just have never tried. I have used the said method for many years and stuck with it because I always achieved good results. If some thing works I don't change it.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Next time, pre-heat your cooler with hot water...this will help you achieve a longer hold.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ElCapitan
    Options
    Here's a little info on the 140* temp. I'd go with the advice given by @SGH.
    Thanks!
    XL Owner
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Next time, pre-heat your cooler with hot water...this will help you achieve a longer hold.
    You can also put your towels in the clothes dryer on high too. However, depending on what lunch time is for you you'd have been getting close to the max time for ftc'ing anyway.

One other tip, leave your remote meat probe in (assuming you have one) when you ftc, that way you can keep an eye on the IT without opening and unwrapping.
    Options
    One other way to extend the time if adding broth is to nuke the broth before adding so it is a heat addition not subtraction when it is added.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

cazzy said:

You can also put your towels in the clothes dryer on high too. However, depending on what lunch time is for you you'd have been getting close to the max time for ftc'ing anyway.

One other tip, leave your remote meat probe in (assuming you have one) when you ftc, that way you can keep an eye on the IT without opening and unwrapping.

Just keep in mind the "danger zone" applies to surface temp as well, not just IT. During cooking surface temp rises faster than IT. During cooling the reverse is true. Surface temp drops faster.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ElCapitan
    Options
    Yup, I should have heated the beef broth before adding it.  

Thanks for the tips on the putting the towels in the dryer first and the pre-heating the cooler.  To be honest, I set my alarm for 2:38 and when it went off, I was so out of it I'm lucky I didn't FTC the drip pan and throw away the brisket!

The timing wasn't the best.  I should start a little later when I'm aiming for a lunch brisket.  But it'll all work out so no biggy.
    XL Owner
  • SGH
    Options
    I don't know if you encountered a problem but as far as heating the beef broth I never have. So far it has worked flawless for me with out heating it.

Status- Standing by.

• ElCapitan
    Options
    I didn't encounter a problem it just makes sense to preheat whatever you are adding to it or it will cool it down more.
    XL Owner
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    cazzy said:

+1. And have also set cooler out in the sun or in a hot car. In FL it's not a real issue to find a hot car though ;-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ElCapitan
    Options
    Well, here is how it turned out.  I should have checked it an hour earlier but it was still awesome.  It's all gone now except for a bit to make a few chopped beef sandwiches.  The family sucked it down.
    XL Owner
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks really good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Glad it turned out my friend.

Status- Standing by.