Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Bean Casserole

Options
SWMBO and I are attending an Easter Supper at a friend's house. We have been assigned a green been casserole to bring as a side. I'm looking to do something simple recipe wise but would like to use the egg. So far I've done well impressing this group of friends with the egg's capabilities. I want to keep it up. Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Off-the-cuff, maybe, if you can find it, pick up some country ham, grill slabs of it hot and fast (not too much), dice it and use it as your salt source for the casserole.  The beans are the feature.  Too smokey might be bad.  Get some haricots verts or if you want to be really different, some sugar peas for the beans and mix that up with some white sauce, mushrooms, olive oil.  Or get a recipe. I like to read recipes then just throw them all out the door but have all that info floating around in my head.
    Options
    Haricots verts means green beans in my neck of the woods. Garlic is good and if you have an Indian grocery close you can get big bags of fried onions for next to nothing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    French long beans, but that's how they're labeled around here, but we're kinda French in New Orleans, thanks in part to you Canuckistans.
    Options
    Both ends of the continent are screwed
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Don't forget the cheese. 
    Options
    Water chestnuts add a nice crunch to GBB.

I also like to add a small dash of curry to give it a different twist.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Deviledegger
    Options
    I have intentions of making quiche in the egg for an Easter brunch. I will cook the onion and bacon on the egg, mix it with the egg, half and half and sour cream mixture, put it in a crust and throw it back on the egg. Should taste as good as it sounds!
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    Dang! Change in plans. The in-laws just informed us they are heading this way. Party is canceled for us. Putting the in-laws in charge of all sides as penance. Glad I had a half leg of lamb in the fridge. My first one one the egg.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I also like to add a small dash of curry to give it a different twist.

Ooh, I'm gonna try that tomorrow, that sounds good!  
    =P~

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.