Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kingsford Competition Briquetes

Options
I was at Costco the other day and I figured I would check if they had any lump. All the had was the original kingsford and the competition Briquetes. On the bag it said it was all natural and safe for ceramic grills. It was $19 for 2 bags. Has anyone ever used it? Is it even worth spending the $20 to find out? I always used kingsford on my weber and always loved it. I know your not suppose to use it on the egg because of the additives but the competition kind is all natural. Just figured I would throw it up here and see what the general consensus was.
Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I just had some burgers cooked using these in a weber kettle at my friends house.  The burgers tasted great and didn't have any off or chemical taste.  To be honest, I didn't really taste any smoky flavor- they burned really clean.  

I can't say for sure if they are safe for a ceramic cooker but if they are indeed all natural I can't see what harm there could be in using them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't think they could burn as hot as lump and probably will produce much more ash.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I wouldn't. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Asked the same question not long ago.  Photo Egg provided some positive feedback.  Longer, even heat.  Thought it would work well in the small egg at the campground.  When for the afternoon, sometimes into later parts of the night, the egg rolls along(backed down when not in use). 

Have used the Comp K once for a lower temp cured turkey rotisserie cook, no issues.  The comp briquettes don't feel as dense as the regular K.  And like SmokeyPitt, the flavor is much milder than the regular K.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I'm sure they work great just wasn't sure how great. I would think the lump would be better but just thought I would throw it out there. I loved using the original kingsford on my weber, you couldn't beat the taste......until I got my egg!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.