Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Lighting

Options
I use an electric starter to get my Egg going.  I found that starter cubes weren't fast or reliable enough for me.  The electric starter certainly works and I think it works okay but my wife always is telling me that it takes "too long to start."  For example, last night, I started the Egg up and it took over 30 minutes to get to just 200 degrees.

I know patience is a virtue but I've been thinking about getting a torch to light the Egg to help on the cooks that I need a higher temp (350+) and using the electric to start it up for the low & slows).

What do you guys think?  Good idea?  What kind of torch should I get?  I don't want to have to more than $50 unless I have to.  I found a couple at Home Depot for around $25 but I'm not really sure if those are well suited for my needs.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    weedburner from harbor frieght should still be under 30 bucks, been using one for maybe 10 years now, there is nothing faster than 500,000 btu's of fire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Options
    Many here like using a paper towel with cooking oil to light.  I plan to use it tomorrow when I do a pork butt to see how it works.  I've had no problem with the starter cubes, but I'm also cheap  ;)

• fishlessman
    Options
    under 20
    http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

i mostly use the oil and napkin as well
    fukahwee maine

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Ya know the tune that you repeatedly hear on this site.  "I wish I had it back then…"

This is me singing the same tune.  
    I'm sold on mapp torch.  I bought it couple weeks ago and I wished I had bought it a long time ago.  Even back to kettle days.    What had stopped me was $50 price tag.

FYI -- I was in the shed yesterday and saw the weber chimney and was wondering whom should I donate to. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    I was thinking about one the smaller handheld torches.  Are those a waste?
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    Personally I would go with the MAPP Gas torch. I can have my grill lit and up to temp in about 10 min. It ran me 45 dollars with a bottle of gas and I have been using it for the past 3 months and still going strong. I have also used it a bunch to sweet some copper pipes for a new hot water heater that we got. Its nice to have something that can also be used for other things other than lighting the egg. Although mine was purchased for the egg.

This is what I have. I found mine on sale one week for $45

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=387416-743-TS8000KC&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50126389&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    edited April 2014
    Options
    the oil and napkin is faster than the small torches, you slow startup may be due to the egg getting damp from not using it enough, that happens with one of mine, it wont rise past 200 till all the moisture is gone. oil and napkin is probably the cheapest way to go and you can make a years worth in minutes

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I was thinking about one the smaller handheld torches.  Are those a waste?
    Do you mean one like this?

...that's what I have and it works great.  

Is your egg on a deck?  If not, a weedburner and a bigger propane tank (like used with a gas grill) will safe you money over time.   I don't think I would use it on a deck though because they spark like crazy.  

Just a warning...the map torch can spark as well depending on the lump you use.  I got a crappy bag of lump and it sparked too bad so I had to use oil/napkins to light it (then I threw away half the bag of crappy lump). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• StellarEvo
    Options
    @Jeffroe189 That's what I was thinking too.  I had that same one pulled up and was looking at when I made the first post.

I've learned and I know that if you pay $(x) for something that was supposed to cost $(x*2) or $(x*3), you will regret not getting the more expensive one later.  I'm looking at you Thermapen...
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Get the torch.....once you use it, you will never want to use your electric starter again.  And of course you won't have to worry about electricity and extension cords. I use the Bernzomatic TS4000 which uses both MAAP and propane.  The propane canisters are about $3 and last for months.  And I cook a few times a week.  I light a spot in four spots around the perimeter of the fire ring for 30 seconds each and am ready to cook in 10-15 minutes. 

A buddy of mine bought the electric lighter and has been kicking himself ever since seeing the way I do it.  He has since bought the torch too. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Do you have to worry about the ash blowing?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    2 ozs of 91% rubbing alcohol works best.
  • Enders
    Enders Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the first to mention the LooftLighter, http://www.looftlighter.com .

I'm lighting an XL.  Hold it for 60 seconds and I'm at 350 in 10 mins.  It's over your price limit, but the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is high and that is priceless to me!  
    :))

XL BGE, Medium Project Egg

Indianapolis

• StellarEvo
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.  I'm going to pick something up this weekend.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Enders said:
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the first to mention the LooftLighter, http://www.looftlighter.com .

I'm lighting an XL.  Hold it for 60 seconds and I'm at 350 in 10 mins.  It's over your price limit, but the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is high and that is priceless to me!  
    :))
    +1 on the Looftlighter. Both of my Eggs are in covered patio and there is an electrical outlet a few feet away. Like @Enders say, it is super fast

Just make sure to store it inside house after using it. Another tip: once you push the start button, keep it pushed in until you are through lighting your charcoal. By doing both of these things, you have a better chance of a very long life for your Looftlighter.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm using one of those wireless looftlighters ;)