Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature fluctuations?

Options
i have a large big green egg. It seems like every time i do a low and slow cook, i'll set the temp around 225. it'll be rock solid for 6 hours and not move at all. then, i always seem to drop down to around 205 or so, at which point, i panic and make a slight vent adjustment. i'll often overshoot to around 250ish and then bring it back down to 225. my question is, why is this happening? i know i should probably just not touch it, but im always worried that my fire has died out. the fire died on me once and i had to take the food off, take the grate off, take out the drip pan, take out the plate setter, get the fire going again and reassemble. i don't want to do that again, hence my compulsive adjustments. do you guys experience temp fluctuations or am i alone on this?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I find that I can maintain 250* without much trouble. 225* seems to be a little tougher. There are lots of variables including type and quantity of lump. Are you sure that you have enough lump to get you through a 6+ hour cook?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    If you prefer low and slow cooks (as opposed to turbo), try running at 250. It seems to be much easier than 225, despite the fact that it's not such a huge difference.  And it will shorten your cook time a good deal.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    I find 250 easier to maintain as well. I'm using royal oak lump.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    So why/what are you cooking that you need 225*?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Lots of people smoke at 225.  Pretty common temp.  Just hard to maintain without fluctuation on an egg without a stoker.  Not impossible though.
    Yeah, I've just started going with 250* as it is pretty easy for me to maintain.
    Options
    Stay in the 250/275 range and you'll be a lot happier.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Lots of people do run at 225.  I did for many years.  It is the temperature, I believe, recommended in the Elder Ward recipe on the naked whizz website.

But invariably, those new to the egg seem to have issues with lower temperature fires, and one of the quickest fixes for them has been to try 250.  That, and experience in adjusting, which can't be taught over the internet.

I sometimes smoke at 175-180.  Those temperatures can be held easily enough.

But 250 solves a lot of problems for some.  Including cutting cook time an appreciable amount.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    i've done cooks at 225 and at 250.  it may be pure coincidence, but i have had better results at 225.  seems like i get a more thorough breakdown of fat and connective tissue, thereby yielding a more tender and juicy product.  I've done a fair share at 250 and the results certainly aren't bad.  i just feel that they are better when i hold around 225.