Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Andouille taste test / comments thus far

This isn't my first go at making sausage. It is my first time absolutely alone and my first time using the kitchen aid grinder. My first thoughts are - buy a traditional grinder. The two size grind plates are limiting, and the stuffer has an exceedingly hard time passing anything larger. You could sell the grinder if you decide sausage isn't for you, I don't know that anyone will care about the kitchen aid attachement. You 'can' stuff through a traditional grinder, but I think I'm leaning toward a tube stuffer. If you are only ever going to make fairly fine grain sausage, you may get away with the kitchen aid.

I got about 4.5 of 5 lbs stuffed. So I had some to enjoy. This will make wonderful andouille. I look forward to smoking it Tuesday.

On a roll with some brown mustard and homemade sauerkraut.

Comments

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 3,529
    Good lookin sandwich
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,079

Nice looking sammie. Like to use the sausage in gumbo.I have the KA and attachments also and find little cumbersome to use.  Don't do enough sausage to need large units.  Mind sharing the sausage recipe?

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,423
    Would also love to see your recipe. If you get a dedicated sausage stuffer, it will make stuffing sausage a pleasure instead of a chore. So much easier.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,279
    you can find aftermarket larger plates on ebay for the ka grinder
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,973
    I have a little Italian made pommodori machine and the grind and stuff attachments. Maybe $300. all in. Can't keep up to it with one person.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TonyATonyA Posts: 567
    Sure,

5lbs pork butt, half diced call it 3/8" // half 1/4 inch ground.

3 tbsp Celtic sea salt
    2 tbsp coarse black pepper
    1 tbsp granulated garlic
    1 tbsp sweet paprika
    2 tsp cayenne
    1.5 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 tsp herbs de Provence
    1 tsp pink salt

Bound with 2 tbsp dry milk powder.

This is mostly just a combination of two recipes I found online. Nola cuisine and Big Jones. Incidentally both out of Chicago.

I did order some pecan wood. I'll smoke it tomorrow and post some pics.

I made a batch recently and used onion powder, thyme and file powder. Ground half of the pork and finely chopped the other half. Just used regular old 'merican sea salt though. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

@little Steven how did you like it with the onion powder? I made a batch of seasoning and preferred at least the seasoning without.

The Celtic Sea salt is a little Gucci, sure, but I throw the name out more to reference the actual sodium content. There is a lot of non-sodium matter.
    I'm sort of wondering where Celtic ea salt comes from? Glascow? I like Emeril's recipe with out so much salt. I modified that and used the file.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

The bag is covered w info. I'll go take a look in a bit
    Don't bother. That was a joke. The Celts came through England to Scotland and Ireland. Pretty sure Celtic means French. Never seen the river Clyde in Glascow I take it? I think they paved it between Glascow and Clydebank.
    B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I thought the early celts were more or less from Austria? Well, true to its name, the origin of the salt is vague at best. The Celtic portion 'sounds good'
    No that was the Tuetonians, sorry I jest. Coupla beers in and my history is vague.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Hmmmm....wish you had a weight on the sea salt rather than volume. I've never seen that one before and I wouldn't know how much of the sea salt I use to sub in. Don't want it to be too salty.

Richardson, Texas

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,591
    1.5% salt by weight is a good number for fresh sausage.  Up to 4% for cured sausage is typical.

Let's smoke some sausage sub 200 deg in the pouring rain with ridiculous wind gusts.

Hey, where did everybody go?

This picture is an embarrassing hodgepodge. I was in a rush to get them in and the lid shut.
    @griffin the recipes I drove from called for 3tbsp diamond kosher. I've used like quantities of this product in the past so I was fairly confident. What I cooked tasted good
    They came out great! Little light on smoke but that might be that I was bathing in it.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,591
    Looks good!

• Mmmmm! I need to try that. I have a traditional crank grinder that I inherited from my mother. Never have used it, but now may be the time.
    Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!
    The crank grinder will work better than the kitchen aid for grinding. I suspect it will be slightly better for stuffing but you will probably need a second set of hands
    That is some gorgeous looking sausage!

Richardson, Texas