Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

first turbo butt today

jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
I just put it on about 30 min ago. Dome temp of 400 and grid temp is at 304. Big difference, I'm thinking the dome thermo is off although it was accurate when I tested it a couple weeks ago. In my experience I've had a difference of about 50* but not almost 100*. Any insight as to what's going on here?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 11,760
    How close is your grid probe to the meat? If its too close the cold meat will impact the temp its reading.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
    edited April 2014
    Ahh, why didn't I think of that? I have run into that before, bet thats what it is. Thanks.
    DMW said:

How close is your grid probe to the meat? If its too close the cold meat will impact the temp its reading.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    Nm
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    Moved it over to the right a little and now there is only about a 65* difference. I feel dumb lol
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    The probe tip is pretty close to the meat in that pic.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr
    yep that's where I was before I moved it
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    Did relocating the probe change the temp reading?
    Morgantown, PA

Yes about a 65* diff as opposed to a 100* difference
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    Yep, that was it. I've placed my probe intentionally close to the meat and cooked based on dome temp a couple times. Its interesting to watch the grid probe temp drop during the stall. Evaporative cooling.
    Morgantown, PA

I just can't believe I didn't think of that. Oh well, I appreciate the info
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    It took this 8lber exactly five hours to get to 200*. I did wrap it at 165*. Smells great and probes like hot butter. Gonna FTC for another hour or so. I think I may like turbo.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • dagrillerdagriller Posts: 74
    I just did a turbo, it turned out great!
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,975
    Damn...If you don't know that by now sell you f&$@ing egg...moron.

Lols jk broski. ..hope your using ozark.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    henapple said:
    Damn...If you don't know that by now sell you f&$@ing egg...moron. Lols jk broski. ..hope your using ozark.
    I'm on my fourth bag of OO, halfway through my supply already. Gonna have to hit you up again :D 

First turbo was a success, different flavor than usual but still very good. I will try another without wrapping next time.
    imageimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,975
    I've got more...just let me know when. I promise you won't have to load my truck this time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    OK, I'll take you up on that in a few weeks maybe... If your sure you won't put me to work lol
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    Loving the OO I've been using for the last week or so... Also like that it's in easier managed 10lb bags... I like Rockwood as well; buy I think my next order will be just OO as I already have 4 bags of Rockwood in the garage.
    Its good stuff. I'll go about 4 short cooks without having to add any
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    jls9595 said:

Its good stuff. I'll go about 4 short cooks without having to add any

I could do the same, but I've got the bad habit of topping it off just about every cook whether I have to or not