Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The monster brisket

1.55 lbs. $8. What the heck. If it's chili meat that cool too.

Just put on, fat down (what little there was) oak and 250. Here we go... \m/
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Damn! That's insane!

It sounds like finding a packer is similar to finding a Golden Ticket in a chocolate bar. :(
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    cazzy said:

Damn! That's insane!

It sounds like finding a packer is similar to finding a Golden Ticket in a chocolate bar. :(

At the grocery store it very much is.

Just probed at 170s. Only two hrs in. Not sure if I want to foil it now or just let it ride a while.
  • cazzy
    How's the bark? :P
  • cazzy
    I've put myself on restriction from giving you advice. I will let the brisket pros chime I'm on what direction you should go.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Can't believe 1 1/2 lb. briskets exist!  Crazy.  I wouldn't foil.  If you're rising that fast, it doesn't seem like you're hitting a stall and the foil is really there to push you through the stall.  Hitting 170 means you're moving through what would be the stall with relative ease.  I'd just let it ride and see how it turns out.
    Southern California
  • Jeremiah
    cazzy said:

I've put myself on restriction from giving you advice. I will let the brisket pros chime I'm on what direction you should go.

Why?

And the bark is iffy only cuz I went a little overboard with the cow lick this time.
  • cazzy
    Jeremiah said:

cazzy said:

Why?

And the bark is iffy only cuz I went a little overboard with the cow lick this time.
    I'm just playing...doing yard work. :(

It's likely too late...but I would have wrapped so I could try to protect the meat as much as possible
  • Jeremiah
    :D wrapped-- with a little coffee thrown in for good measure.
  • cazzy
    Jeremiah said:
    Good call...I don't think i'd ever toss coffee in with a flat, but i'd definitely wrap it.  

Try to get some butcher paper so you can lose the foil with your brisket cooks.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @cazzy‌ what is the real difference between butcher paper and foil in BBQ?
  • cazzy

@cazzy‌ what is the real difference between butcher paper and foil in BBQ?

I'll send you what I just texted a member off line. ;)

It breathes so it doesn't destroy your bark, plus it still offers protection for your meat. Foil doesn't breathe, so it steams and can soften your bark.

Foil has its place...but not with brisket. Foil is great for ribs and butts.
  • Jeremiah
    edited April 2014
    cazzy said:

Jeremiah said:

Good call...I don't think i'd ever toss coffee in with a flat, but i'd definitely wrap it.  

Try to get some butcher paper so you can lose the foil with your brisket cooks.

Thanks cazzy. I'll get some. And next time I'm going all out for the packer so I hope you're ready ;)

To conclude the cook, it was ok. No bark and way too much cow lick. But for $8 it provided dinner and lunch tomorrow. So I guess I'll call it a win.

• cazzy
    I'll be ready!! ;)

Dude, chop it up and add some bbq sauce to balance it out.