Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't let this happen to you!

So, first off I have a High-Que fire grate for my LBGE.  The original fire grate sits in the garage only to be used when I want to cold smoke with the Amaze-N-Smoker.  When I want to cold smoke I put the original fire grate on top of the charcoal and set the ANS on top of the original fire grate.  It has worked the last 5 times I have done it (for cold-smoking salmon and cheese).  It worked, that is, until last night.  I had my first attempt at bacon on the Egg to smoke for 8 hours last night.  This morning when I woke up to pull it off the egg I was greeted by a black chunk of burned pork belly where my cold-smoked bacon should have been. :(  Apparently during the night the pellets in the ANS generated enough heat to ignite the charcoal and cause everything to go up in smoke.

So, let this be a lesson to those of you out there.  Have a better way to isolate your lump from the AMNS than setting it on the original BGE fire grate.

Comments