Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ar Rig Extender question

Options
I am thinking of ordering a Rig Extender for my AR .
I am thinking that it will give me tons more room as I can put things in the middle of my AR and then on the Rig Exteneder .
Am I mistaken that I would be able to put a few pork butts in Ar and a few on top ? ?

Also which one do i get ? the one with the 16' slide or just the one with the cross bars  ? ? ?

Thanks
Toronto

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have seen people put 6 puts in a large using the A/R so you should be able to get at least a couple 8-9 pounders on the top for sure. As for which one to get it all depends on what you normally cook. I personaly have the B&R combo, spider and stone as well. Almost never use the spider and stone as the B & R combo with the oblong stone works wonderful. If your not sure just call Tom and talk to him about it. He will steer in the correct direction as he is also an egg head. I would definitly go with the cross bars as they give it a little more stability.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Thanks !!
    Toronto
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    I ordered the rig extender with sliding d grid and it came with the crossbar also. This is my favorite piece of the AR I cook pizza spatchcock chicken pork shots almost every thing up there. It makes two rack grilling extremely easy just open the dome push the grid back a little and everything is easy to get to.
    Lexington TN
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    It gets tight in the dome for a pork butt on the rig extender......wont' say it can't be done but it will cook differently than meat below, since it's wedged high in the dome.......
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    So @tjv I have the AR , how can i maximize cooking space  ? I am hoping to get 2 shelf cooking on it . I got an extra 13' grill but am struggling to find how to maximize space on it .
    do you have anythoughts ? or pics ?

i know you are the guy to ask
    thanks
    Toronto
  • Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    Options
    I just received my R&B combo, rig extender/sliding D grate, extra oval grate, spider and wok yesterday.  When I spoke to Tom about my cooks before ordering, he indicated that it would be very difficult to get 2 butts on top of the extender, but 1 would probably fit and to put two more below. 

I haven't even had a chance to cook on it yet, and probably won't be doing any butts for a while so anyone with experience and info with 4+ butts on the AR would be very helpful.

Also very anxious to try out the wok; my wife and I used to stir fry a lot when we were first married but kind of got away from it.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Scottyboy said:
    I just received my R&B combo, rig extender/sliding D grate, extra oval grate, spider and wok yesterday.  When I spoke to Tom about my cooks before ordering, he indicated that it would be very difficult to get 2 butts on top of the extender, but 1 would probably fit and to put two more below. 

I haven't even had a chance to cook on it yet, and probably won't be doing any butts for a while so anyone with experience and info with 4+ butts on the AR would be very helpful.

Also very anxious to try out the wok; my wife and I used to stir fry a lot when we were first married but kind of got away from it.
    Ceramic Grill Store has a good web site. With photos. Click through.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Scottyboy said:

Ceramic Grill Store has a good web site. With photos. Click through.

Thanks for the info and reminder!   I now remember seeing that page on their site but didn't stop to look at the pictures....was too anxious to get to the ordering page I guess.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN