Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Tip Roast 8.2 lbs.

Options
Beachtime
Beachtime Posts: 2
Large Green Egg owner and operator since December of 2013. After trying numerous not complicated foods I found myself with this large roast we purchased on a half price special. Did not wish to cut it up an freeze part and yet when I reviewed this forum last week, I actually could not find a successful plan on how to smoke and cook this monster other than an important item from a few contributors who warned not to go over an internal of 125 nor under 120. Had no interest in a dried or tough roast. but read many stories where this is what occurred. 
Called my son in San Diego for some guidance, though not a Green Egg Owner, a long time smoker and grill enthusiast. His words of wisdom were "Slow & low" and his preferred cook temperature is 175 to 180. With this information I started the egg and added soaked hickory wood to burning charcoal, used the plate-setter on indirect placed the chrome grid cooking rack on top and worked the temperature up to 215 to allow hickory wood to start to smoke well.
Prepared the roast by trimming, washing and drying the roast. Mixed liberal amounts of kosher salt and ground black pepper all over the roast and then let set for about 15 minutes when I rubbed olive oil over all of roast, then a dry rub of cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, hot Mexican chili powder, cinnamon and ginger all mixed together and then applied over all of the olive oil. Then placed roast on cooking grid for two hours. After the first half hour I started working the dampers to lower temperature to 185. Checked internal temperature at the end of two hours and it was at 103. Closed egg and moved temp back to about 200 for 30 minutes and again checked internal to find it at 117. Closed egg again and moved temp back into the 185 range for next 30 minutes. Again check internal temp and found it at 125 and removed roast to cutting board and covered roast with heavy duty foil, stuck instant thermometer through foil into center of roast. Temperature continued to rise to about 136 and then slowly started to come back down. Cut a small piece of trim at the bottom and shared with my wife for a late night appetizer and pretty palate awaking with all the salt, pepper and spices plus the hickory smoke that covered the roast with a dark red brown patina. 
This morning sharpened my butcher knife with an iron and then a diamond rod to a vicious edge and proceeded to remove very thin slices of this very juicy and smoked roast that were incredible and worked will our morning eggs. Can't wait to get home and workout a plan for dinner with this roast which will experience a number of varied recipes from the very large piece of meat for two people. Am confident their will be some wonderful meals coming off of this "oh so good" piece of meat that has been carefully egged on! Will try to remember to add a photo later, but be warned---am old and forgetful though full of good intentions. 

Comments