Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a whole pork shoulder

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I fellow I know picked up two whole shoulders on sale.  Each weigh about 20 lbs.  He's asked me to cook them some how but he doesn't know what he wants done with them.
I told him we could either try to cure it and then smoke it like a ham or we could smoke it to 155 or so and then he can cut it up any way he wants for smoked pork chops (yes, I know not ideal).  
Anyone else have any other thoughts on what to do with this?  If it was me, I'd just do a huge low and slow for pulled pork and then freeze it but I don't think he wants pulled pork.  Or, cut it into two and smoke the picnic and make butt chops.  
Anyway, let me know what you think.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would just tell him that a whole shoulder is made for pulled pork and do it that way ;).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    sausages!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sir I agree with you that the whole shoulder is best cooked together and cooked until it pulls. But you asked for a alternative so here goes. First I'm going to presume that you can separate the shoulder. That being said go ahead and separate the picnic from the butt. Coat the picnic in your rub of choice as we all have different taste and refrigerate over night. One hour before cooking remove and let sit at room temp and rub down again with your rub of choice. Bring egg to 225 degrees and stable. Load picnic info egg and cook for 3 hours. At this point place picnic in a shallow pan to finish cooking. Do not cover. If you do not want pulled pork stop the picnic when it reached 170. I find this to be the perfect temp for picnic if of not pulling.
    Carve and enjoy a very moiste and different style of picnic. As far as the butt I only cook them to pull. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.